Replies

• You and Rob kick ass Jimmy.  I have a Canon Powershot Elph 330HS which unfortunately cannot be triggered via its USB data connection (yup, need a 340 or newer) so I need to use a linear servo if I want to use a wider aperture digicam setup.

I thought that the FrSky transmitter 3DR uses on the Iris+ had a corresponding 8 channel receiver... but I was mistaken (the RX says 4 channel) so if I even try to trigger from my transmitter, I don't know if there is a port open on the RX to run a simple servo (mechanical) shutter trigger.

Alternately, I was thinking of flying a Nokia WinPhone with the 43 MP camera on it, and just design an app to control it (these actually already exist in beta) over IP.... and then I stumbled upon DroneDeploy..I like the QX1 type cameras Sony makes and may go that route now.

And yes, I have access to a 3D printer. I think your setup might be worth a try for now.

• If you like I can sell you one of mine for $50. It's for Iris+ 

3702906454?profile=original

• I was looking for a mount similar to what the go pro has on the tarot gimbal....so I can frame a shot with elevation control from the xmitter.... my 330 hs can do spot focus to support miniature faking...but those shots need Elevation to make sense,,,know what I mean?

Anyway...I'm considering your offer Jimmy...you take PalPal?

BTW..I have chdk running on the 330 hs and ain't that fascinating...now I need to read the literature and craft a control and video cable...that 330 hs can do video out for fpv over the USB port.

In other news...3DR determined I had a gyroscope glitch that likely caused my crash into the woods on Monday...yikes..now what.

• The QX1 is really slick. Full APS-C sensor, some comms, a battery and not much else. Which in some ways makes it perfect for use on a UAV. That said, it doesn't have much use for me outside DroneDeploy at the moment. There is no equivalent to Canon's CHDK that I am aware of. It does not have built in GPS. There is a USB connection, and there are some folks looking in to ways to trigger this thing outside of WiFi. But nothing close to plug and play yet.

However, with DroneDeploy, the QX1 is very much plug and play. Exposure, shutter speed, auto-focus, etc.. are all automatically set up for you during the preflight checklist in the DroneDeploy software.

• The GPS in the Canons is fairly useless. accuracy is +- 100m at times. Using the logs from the PH is easy enough but when I use the Iris+ I have to fly several missions and combining logs is difficult. I'll have to call DD and see what I can work out. 

• Thank you for the CHDK tip Jimmy... I'm going to spend a couple hours on it tonight. 

Holy Crap this could be cool.  I have already carried the Elph 330HS on my Iris via an adapter for the front gopro mount.  Suffice to say the video was a tad giggly due to the wind that day.

• Are you running this?

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/ELPH330

If so you should not be trying to connect to the TX but triggering directly through the Pixhawk and triggering photos by distance. 

• No...I happened across that discussion, but did not understand what was being presented.  Can I run that code whilst the 330HS is plugged into my 'puter and then get the thing able to be triggered from the AP?

If that is the case, you are definitely on my birthday card list.

• Here are the STL files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tu874f85751or11/AADaqSdfbzJ70Yqlngdi1kFW...

Dropbox - Error
      Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
    • Thanks, Jimmy. I wish I did have a printer, but I don't (although lately it occurs to me that I perhaps should).

I started out with the IMPConcepts Tension Gimbal Adapter and went from there. The QX1 has a funny little bayonet type mount on the back, which is used to attach it to your cell phone. the receiver for that mount readily attaches to a flat surface with the encouragement of a drill, some small screws, and/or some epoxy if that's your kind of thing. One can also use the wrist strap attachment on the camera for a safety cable, if your a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy like me.

This reply was deleted.