Does anyone know what the CG of the Iris+ is supposed to be? I've been told at the intersection of the diagonally opposed motors which make sense but I'd like to know if anyone knows for sure. 

Ia m drifting backward and to the left a lot during flight, even during loiter. I've done nothing more than pull the quad from it's box and fly it. I'm guessing with the addition of the Tarot T-2D and GoPro 4 as well as the 600mW Boscam VTx and associated wiring harnesses I've built I've managed to get things out of balance some how. I"d like to know about what point I should be trying to balance everything.

Another question I have is related to the reaction of the Iris+ at the ends of high speed linear runs. I like to film a fast approach to an object for dramatic effect but I've noticed when flying forward rather quickly then slowing quickly the quad drop significantly then regains altitude (Altitude Hold Mode). Reverse isn't as bad but is still does it. Do I need to tune something? My friends flies a P2 and it is very good at this maneuver. I need to figure it out so I can do high speed over water and be able to slow quickly without dipping my GPH4 in the water!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've used a regular USB cable as Rob mentions, connected to the 3DR radio and it does work great. However I think you're asking specifically for details about David's ability to pipe FPV video into MP on the laptop, correct? That is what I'm interested in as well. 

• With your laptop, all you need is a regular old USB to micro-USB cable (like comes with most android phones). You can plug straight into the IRIS+ or plug into the 3dr transmitter dongle. No need for the special USB-to-go cable for a laptop.

• That's just it, if 3DR is shipping the Iris-M Pro with the Ellipsis I have to think it is possible for me to use it as well with my Iris+. Would be awesome to find someone who has the 3DR supplied Ellipsis to see what if any differences there are. I will have to reach out to that community.
    • You can get OTG turned on if you have root access to your tab's OS.  Seems like there are some manufacturers that do not have USB OTG turned on.

• I understand the need for 4G LTE which is why I went ahead and got the tablet. for $19.95 from Verizon it is a great deal I think.

• Realize, there is no such thing as the IRIS-M Pro yet, as is hasn't been released. All I've ever seen is the marketing PDF. FWIW, my IRIS+ is basically the same thing as an IRIS-M, as it has the same DroneDeploy module installed (the bit in the front mount on the IRIS-M) and a RGB or NGB camera (which doesn't come with the IRIS-M Pro, I don't think). If you want a mapping system, you can start out with a regular IRIS+ and put it together yourself. 

The advantage of the Verizon branded Ellipsis (when using DroneDeploy) is it has LTE built-in, which you need to run the DroneDeploy ground station. I just use the hotspot on my phone and then connect my laptop or Galaxy Tab S as the ground station. 

Also note, that the DroneDeploy module plugs in to the TELEM 2 port on the Pixhawk that the stock 3dr ground station radio plugs into. So it's EITHER the DroneDeploy ground station or the 3dr ground station. Not both (both seems like a real bad idea anyway). In the picture of the IRIS-M, you can still see the rubber ducky antenna installed for the 3dr radio. Perhaps they came up with a way to leave both modules installed? Don't know.

• VF. You can tune the Iris' flight dynamics/control responses via the tuning facilities in Mission Planner. I run MP on a Surface Pro 3...as well, there are Pixhawk parameters that can be adjusted in this application.
    My Iris was not flyable out if the box until I calibrated compasses and the ESC. Then it flew nicely. You can also tweak the RC xmitter for channel mixing and other sophisticated flight control modes.
    • Thanks. I will explore MP settings. Any suggestions of a good place to start based on the very limited information describing the undesired behavior?

I thought the compass calibrated itself during each flight. Is that not true?
This reply was deleted.