FPV with IRIS?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has added a FPV kit to the IRIS. I would be interested in how and where to mount the parts (camera, transmitter with antenna, additional battery?).

Would there be enough space in the shell? If anyone has done this already, please post some pictures.

Thanks, and best regards, Udo

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have a few threads on the 3dr facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152554095952845&set=p...

Ive mounted the gear on the back arms .

Its overloaded in that phot,o, but with jsut a gopro on front its super light.

-

• Hi,

finally i got my FPV-Set for my IRIS:

• 5,8 Ghz ImmersionRC Transmitter, 25 mW
    • 5,8 Ghz ImmersionRC Receiver Uno 5800
    • CMOS FPV-Kamera 600TVL, 5V
    • 5,8 GHz ImmersionRC Circular Antennas
    • I build some cheap goggles from a small car LCD monitor, like described here: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/ghetto-fpv-goggles 

I'm powering the transmitter and the camera from the 12 Volt gimbal power cable which comes out at the bottom of the IRIS (I don't use a gimbal).

The camera is hot glued to a piece of cork, secured with some zip ties, as well as the transmitter and antenna.I guess it wouldn't win a price for beauty, but it's working for me. :-)

3701756727?profile=original

Works fine so far, but I still need to practice a lot to get used to flying FPV... :-)

Best regards,

Udo

Foto 11.06.14 23 56 07.jpeg

Foto 11.06.14 23 56 39.jpeg

Foto 11.06.14 23 58 08.jpeg

• I tried to keep mine as far as I could away from the GPS even though it should not effect it.  You will see I have a plastic wire tie around it, but I also have a small piece of Velcro in case it breaks.  It works very well with my Fatshark attitude Goggles.  I am using the video from the Gopro Hero 3+  the transmitter is 250mw     I am using the camera that came with the Attitude package on my Phantom.  

The only thing I am Very disappointed with are the flight times.  As you can see I have the Gimbal and extended legs.  On a fresh stock battery on a calm day temps around 65 I can not get more than 6 minutes and that is pushing it some!   other than that I like everything else.

Iris Back View.jpg

Iris Front View.jpg

• Hey Michael,

Are you powering the TX and the gimbal from the IRIS batt? If so that would cause the low flight time. I currently power the TX with the gimbal power cord (no gimbal) and get a good 8 to 10 min flight time. I'd also check the batt I got an extra batt from 3DR and they sent a faulty batt that runs only 2 cells, something to think about.

Best,

RC

• I have the Gimbal & Transmitter powered from the cable that comes out the bottom of the Iris next to the Br,R,Or   I am going to do more accurate testing later this week.  I have a battery coming that will be around 4400ma     I just have to figure out what logs I should be looking at.   but it will be test with everything on as that is how I will mostly be using it. 

• I just added a small carbon fiber tail with old motor mount and the screw that hold the top shell on

IMAG0987.jpg

IMAG0988.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701698200?profile=original
    • Nice

• you know there is a big null when that is pointed toward or away from you, right?

If you used the longer legs and a 90 degree SMA adapter, you could point he antenna down and eliminate the horizontal null points on the antenna. 

• theres a 90 degree adapter right next to the antenna on the table.  my guess is he does exactly that.

• Here is my entry:

3701696555?profile=original

I have a fatshark transmitter (with a cloverleaf antenna going out the back) velcroed and taped on the rear left side and the 850mah battery powering it velcroed and rubber banded to the middle of the right side. The vtx's plug is velcroed to the top of the body. I tried placing everything on the top of the body (velcro/duct tape) but couldn't get a GPS signal. I also tried mounting the vtx on the inside of the body (velcroed  above the telemetry tx) and battery on top but the picture dropped out quite frequently.

I'm thinking of trying to design and print an external housing for the vtx that would snap onto the body the same way the battery door snaps shut (would require cutting to rectangular holes in the body). However I have little experience with that kind of design.

I would love to see more of people's more permanent solutions or hear suggestions about this setup!

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701696555?profile=original
This reply was deleted.