Iris+ Massive Yaw issue

Hi everyone. I'm new to DIYdrones.  I'm looking for some help with my Iris+ issue.  the Rep at 3dr has looked at my flight logs and determined everything looked fine and there was no issues. I'm trying to escalate the issue with 3dr but for now I wanted to see if the collective here has every experienced this issue.  I had a few experiences with what I thought were flyaways.. turns out it may be a real thing.  here is a video I made to send to the tech at 3dr who keeps telling me there is nothing wrong based on the flight logs.  Please do not watch the entire video as the first few mins were waiting for the issue to present itself.  I have the Iris+ connected to the planner and have it sitting level.  I even move the Iris around to show that the horizon goes back to level and its actually active.  at 7:57 the horizon suddenly tilts about 45 degrees with out the iris moving.  I can try and tilt it in the opposite direction to compensate it but when I go back to level, the horizon is still 45 degrees off. the Yaw deg goes from over 350 value down to 0 and then back to 44.   if I disconnect the planner and reconnect it, the issue is still there. only if I actually unplug the batter and then re hook it back up, does the issue go away temporarily.    so what happened to me, if that I was flying and then I for some reason on a wide open area lost gps, then the thing suddenly took off to one side and I ended up crashing it vs causing damage to a house.    I haven't owned it log and since march have only flown about 5 times because I cant trust it.

please watch the video and if anyone can tell me what they think, or how to approach this with 3dr that would be great as they don't seem to believe there is anything wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2NJkqJT2fc

I have been back and forth with 3dr and am getting no where. I feel there is a warranty issue and don't know why they cant see the issue in the flight logs.  the tech even said that that one of my videos I posted on line March 29th corresponded to a flight log for may 9th?  not sure how he thinks that since the one video was uploaded in march?  

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I know that one of these had the issue with the roll if not both. 

2015-05-25 15-55-05.bin

2015-05-25 16-00-07.bin

• 3D Robotics

One thing to try is to update your code to the 3.3 rc4 (available in the Beta section in Mission Planner/APM Planner) and see if that cures this. The 3.3 code catches variability and issues with sensors and filters out bad data better. 

• Thanks Randy.
      I did the firmware update and then set the parameters like you showed me and its still not logging for some reason. The only way it seems to arm is if i turn off all the prearm checks and then arm the system. I wrote the peram after changing it. The other thing I noticed is that after yesterday, it isnt doing the gyro spin like it was. Now not every flight went bad, only a couple out of the 25 or so times i flew it. So it is random when it happens so right now it may be having a good day. Oh and another thing i notice is that it some times takes 5 to 10 mins to get enough sats and then with out it moving, it will drop and then not alow me to arm. Like its just droping sats.
      I did purchase it in dec of 2014 and never really got to fly it much in the winter. By the way sure if you saw this video from yesterday morning but if you think the 45 deg tilt was odd. Check this one where it actually was spinning at around the 3:35 mark
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAuCn34ZYE

I'm going to get in contact with them and start the Rma process. I don't want to be down any longer than necessary. After all summer is just about here and i want to fly!
    • Hi Erick,

If you have loaded 3.3-rc5 it would be really interesting to see a log from a "bad" flight before you RMA it (one of the ones you mention above would be fine). As Randy says, it's amost certainly hardware failure, however there are two IMUs on the Pixhawk, and it would be nice it figure out whether failure has to be quite so catastrophic in this instance. None of us want flyaways and lots of us have pixhawks! 3.3-rc5 has a more sophisticated Nav system so it is interesting that it is better.

If you are flying it then switch off the pre-arm logging as this can make it difficult to download the log files over mavlink. You only need this if you are trying to generate a log while its sitting on the bench.

Thanks

andy

• Wow Chris. I just looked at your profile and now know who you are. I thought you were a moderator trying to just help me out. I didn't realize who you were in the company. With that said, I even more appreciate the time you are taking to try and resolve my issue. I was able to get the beta firmware uploaded and now I'm getting a " bad Ahrs" on top of the other errors I get when I'm inside. I'm not sure if its a new error because I'm inside or not. The big thing is that I didn't seem to get the issue with the horizon tilting with no movement with the Iris. This seemed promising, however the Iris has flown well a few times beautifully since i had it, so I need to test it a few more times in planner before I will fly it. I will post an update tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers because I really like the Iris its a great, fun extension of my camera! Again, I really appreciate your time and attention to me
    • 3D Robotics

Happy to help! On Sunday, 3.3RC5 will be released, which should specifically address the bad AHRS issue. 

It sounds like you do indeed have a hardware issue, but the good news is that the software should be able to resolve it. If RC5 doesn't solve the issue, please contact help@3drobotics.com and they can issue a RMA for a replacement. 

• Hi Chris.  apparently the new firmware didn't work. :(    here is the video I shot this morning on my first attempt to hook it up to the planner.  it seemed promising but then as you can see the horizon now starts to spin. it starts at min 3:40  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAuCn34ZYE   I'm sorry this problem is presenting its self. I guess with technology, there will always be one or two that have issues.  your attention to this has really renewed my faith in 3dr and one day I hope to upgrade to a Solo or what ever the latest quad your company has out. Right now I'm good with my Iris as I'm still relatively new to this hobby still.   I will try one more time on sunday when the new 3.3RC5 comes out to just give it one more try to see if the update fixes the issue. I have a bad feeling that because it appears to be a hardware issue that it wont, but I want to give it one more try before contacting customer service again to send it back for either repair or replacement of the parts.   by the way the tech who was sent my flight logs is still telling me there is nothing wrong with the IRIS even after he saw the same video you did and he had my flight logs for when I crashed and when it went out of control. 

• Hi Erick, we really need the dataflash logs to be able to help with this.

You'll either need to arm, so that it starts logging.  Or set the Logging to "log while disarmed" using Mission Planner.

• Hi Rob, thanks for your time as well to look into this issue. I really don't want to send it back if I don't have too.  I loved this thing the times it flew right. Anyways. I cant seem to find that " log while disarmed" in planner.  with that said I did find the disable prearm checks so now I can arm it inside. ( got to remember to turn that back on before I take it outside again)  I tried turning it on and hooking it to the planner and its not having the issue. now it was a random occurrence so I will try and get a few more flight logs and see if it happens again. if so I will upload that log to you right away.  I have attached the 2 flight logs that were when I really had a crazy experience with it, including the last one on may 1st where at the end of my flight, it whacked out and I had to crash into the ground before it flew into a house.  it broke an arm and the gimbal mount when that one happened.  the odd thins was the whole flight was flawless up till the last few seconds. 

the march 27th flight log is the one shows in this youtube video. you can here the gps fail around 6:43 and that when all heck broke loose. that's when I think the gyro went out, or not sure if it even caused the gps glitch to happen too. but I was unable to control it.  well check it out and you can see what I mean. this is the video and I am attaching the logs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHu8v2rUmTk

2015-03-27 16-31-05.bin

2015-05-01 19-00-31.bin

• Developer

By the way, AC3.3-rc5 is out now and includes better logging of the IMU's health so please use that one if you can!

This reply was deleted.