Repairing IRIS+ software remotely

Hi, I live in Chile, South America.

A few weeks ago I bought a 3DR Iris+ drone in the USA (Amazon)

I learned how to fly it and had a lot of fun. The drone came with a default "ceiling" of 100 meters and I tried to change that but completely messed it and now the drone will not fly.

I tried to reinstall the firmware from scratch but it did not help.

It is a software issue and there is no repair service in Chile.

Is there anyway in which I can connect the drone to the internet and have someone repair the software remotely?

Obviously I would pay.

Best Regards

Patricio

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Patricio, hang in there, you'll get it sorted out. There's a whole lot to learn about these Pixhawks. Many, many variables, that can have an adverse effect, until you understand what everything does. I just saved my Iris+ yesterday. Reloaded the program into the Pixhawk, using Mission planner program, and re-did my radio from info on 3dr site. Here's a link to some good info.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/threads/3d-robotics-3dr-iris-offici...

• Thanks so much Dear Dax and Erik, following your advice I was finally able to put my Iris+ drone in the air again!!!

3701944735?profile=original

3701944802?profile=original

Best Regards

Patricio

• Awesome!

It brings a smile to my face to see you so happy in those pictures.  If you don't already, I strongly recommend you use DroidPlanner (now called Tower) while you fly.  It gives you verbal messages like battery levels, altitude, warnings about errors, etc.  Its like having a co-pilot with you while you fly.

Of course, Droid Planner (or the new version Tower) can also be used to plan auto missions and do things like "follow me." 

And DroidPlanner and/or Tower can do things like disable your GeoFence... but I generally don't use it for changing parameters.  I use Mission Planner on a PC for that kind of thing.

• I just noticed something.  It looks like you might be flying your Iris+ without a camera in your gimbal.  That can cause your gimbal to burn out.  If you are going to do that, make sure you unplug the power to your gimbal.

• Hi Erik, yes I knew that and I did unplug the gimbal.

Cheers

Patricio

• Hola Patricio, soy de México, no es bueno cambiar lo de los 100m puesto que es por seguridad aérea, pero si se puede cambiar esa altura y aun asi funciona.

Cual es tu problema después de lo que acabas de mencionar? 

• Well, if you enabled screen sharing on your computer and allowed someone to take control of your PC or Mac, then it would be possible. Of course you would have to be there to plug and unplug the drone, power cycle, etc. There are numerous free Remote Desktop applications that would work.

However, there are some calibrations that must be done in person. I suppose someone could walk you through each step. It could be an interesting business. Remote drone configuration.

Unfortunately, I doubt you will find anyone willing to do this. I'd do it for free, but I am not experienced enough with the Iris.

Your best bet will be to send an email to 3DR Support. They will get back to you very quickly. It will likely take a lot of back and forth by email over a long period of time, but eventually you will get there.

By the way, it's very easy to disable the GEO Fence. I feel bad for you. Next time you might want to move a little slower and always be super careful about updating firmware or mucking about with settings until you are sure you know what you are doing. If you had sent an email to 3DR Support, they would have provided you step by step directions. There are also numerous YouTube videos.

Anyway, I hope someone comes along who has the knowledge to help you. Best of luck.
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks Dax!!

• And of course, when that is all done and the Iris+ is working again, you will want to change the height limit of your GEO Fence, or disable all together. Just be careful because that's what got you in trouble in the first place.
This reply was deleted.