ProductItem NumberQtyPrice
3S Balance Adapter TP to JST XHTHPAL3S1$2.99
ProductItem NumberQtyPrice
Lipo Voltage Checker and BalancerHRC441731$19.99

3691110309?profile=original

Conditions

62 degrees Fahrenheit

Light breeze

ResultsThe Iris flew for just over 16 minutes before getting down to 10.53 volts.  I landed and disarmed before the battery alarm went off.  Current draw was under 14 amps average for the entire flight.  I slowly flew it around a 15 meter radius at an altitude of 1-2 meters.

3691110280?profile=original

The Thunder Power battery weighs in at 320 grams whereas the stock battery (3500mAh) weights 259 grams.  So for the additional 61 grams you get 900mAh.  The battery fits perfect inside the Iris shell, but if I had to do it over again, I would have made the power connections shorter before soldering the XT60 connector.  The SkyRC charger that 3DR supplied works fine for the Thunder Power battery, but I bought a standalone balancer just for peace of mind.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the battery, but I'd love to see a full writeup on the Zippy 5000mAh.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I flew for about 16 minutes 20 seconds with a Zippy 5000 mah battery tonight.  First time with this battery after recharge using stock 3dr charger.  No camera or gimbal, weather was about 63 degrees, absolutely no wind.  

3701711815?profile=original

• what was the cost for the 4400mAh battery with and without shipping.  I am looking at a battery that is 4300mAh and the first test took my Iris with Gimbal, Extended Legs, and 600mw FPV from the 5 1/2 minute flight with stock battery to 10 minutes which I thought was great.  I don't know the price yet as it was sent for me to test.  it fit without any modification's  but playing around with the length of the power cable might help,  still it did close without any problems

• Michael,

Can you include a link to where you got this battery to test? Your FPV set up is the best I have seen so far from this post. Have you created a topic for what you bought to complete the FPV set up?

I have the Iris with gimbal and GoPro, but would like the FPV to go through the GoPro and not mount an additional camera. Would appreciate any information you could provide to achieve the same results as you have. 

Thank you

• 3 hover tests on the Zippy 5000mah. Best was 15.2 minutes. It's pretty heavy. Current draw is 15 - 17 amps for hover. Zero payload except for a little gorilla tape and some super glue:)

When I recharge the battery it takes about 5300mah so it's slightly under rated. I get 13.3 min with the Thunderpro G6 3850mah. I think that with the ZIPPY 5000 it's a situation where there is less energy per weight than the better batteries.

Best zero payload time I have seen claimed is yours and the 17 minutes from a Turnigy A-Spec 4400mah at 17 minutes.

mp

• Thanks Mark.  It's interesting how the different brands have different energy densities.  It seems like the Zippy would make a good rover battery, but it's too heavy for aerial use.

The Turnigy and Thunderpower 4400 seem like the best choices for now.

-Joe

• I agree on Turnigy and TP being the best so far without going to 4S. The 4S batteries that fit aren't doing as good but I've only see one fight time posted for that.

The Turnigy is much cheaper though.

mp

• If you look at this in mah per gram:

Zippy 5000mah 20C (which is what I have) weighs 406 grams equating to 12.3 mah per gram.

The Nano-Tech A-Spec 4500mah 65C weighs 278 grams equating to 16.2 mah per gram(right at 33% higher density). Seems like the ideal battery.

It' 5mm longer than the Zippy but I was able to get the Zippy in the batt compartment without cutting any foam. I think this battery could fit but I noticed on the HK web site that it has the ultra short leads. They may not be long enough to solder and heat shrink the XT-60 connectors. The leads would have to be lengthened maybe so the cable could plug into the Iris's XT60

• What is the largest size battery that will fit in the Iris?  I was told 25mm max on the height,  mine is in for repair so I don't have it to measure.  Would a 27.5mm high work?  

• 26 is the max I would go. The turnigy 5000 is 26 and is snug fit, I don't think 27 would fit.
    • darn,  I have a company that can put together a very high end battery 4s at great prices, but he said it was 27.5mm high  all the other dimensions will work.    I had a 4300 3s in mine but cant remember how tight it was.

This reply was deleted.