Troubles taking off in grass

Anyone else have issues of the iris flipping over when attempting to take off in grass?  Mine wants to drift as soon as it gets to hovering rpm, and the legs get stuck in grass, and cause it to flip.  As such, I have been putting ping pong balls on the bottoms of the legs the try and prevent the grass from grabbing the legs.  It seems to work, but I cant fit it in my case with the balls on it, so it isn't very functional.  Anyone else have this issue and have found a good work around?

Here is a video of it happening, and I broke the gimbal mount.  

https://youtu.be/rLTlVW3AJb4?t=2m35s

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As an option, take off from your case. Close your case and place the Iris on it. Then take off from the case. 

• Hi Jeff:

I've been having a similar issue where my iris+ (stock setup w/FPV) was doing back flips on take off and would drift badly when I could get it to take off.  What I've found thus far is:  My Tx (FS-TH9x)  actually shows the pitch waayyy off.  go into main tx menu, scroll to menu #6 and calibrate sticks to center.   I'm going to try and make a short YouTube video of tx issue as mine keeps going completely out of wack.  for example this morning I turned on my transmitter and the pitch (centered just before going to bed) was almost 80-90% pitch down which I know would have flipped my iris.  

The other thing I noticed which I'm not sure it  caused the flips, was a failure to arm and a PreArm check message telling me the RC not Calibrated.  I fixed this while plugged into my mission planner and was able to get it armed with gps lock.  IF it were not so darn cold I'd be out trying it now.

BTW.  mine drifted and  crashed into my house and I also broke the gimbal mounting plate. I ordered a new one from 3dr but in the interim I was able to patch repair it.  I used an automotive product called JB Weld plastic.  Link below.  this stuff is amazing and turns hard as steel.  

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plasticweld-putty/

• Common issue.
    Bring along a folded up piece of cardboard.
    Tamp down the grass under the take off spot.
    Take off from a dirt patch or pavement.
    Full throttle on takeoff.
  • This is a common issue. You don't want any rotor aircraft hovering over anything that can grab a hold of the legs. So it's a matter of getting it up to about a foot as quick as possible and don't let it drift down around that 0 to 5 inch altitude.
This reply was deleted.