VTX Interference

I would like some feedback on my method for installing an Immersionrc 600mw 5.8GHz VTX on my Iris.

My concern is that installing it so close to the Pixhawk and Receiver that it may cause enough noise to either shorten the control range, or cause interference/noise in the Pixhawk sensors which could cause big trouble.

Please take a look at my install and give me your thoughts.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Paul, just saw your pic. Nice clean install. Have you tried inverting it to see if you get better range? Also thanks for posting the install video.

I'll try reposting my pics. (FYI: haven't screwed down the case yet in the last pic)

WP_20150204_23_04_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20150204_23_04_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20150204_23_05_34_Pro.jpg

• Bobby, I think I'd be a little nervous with all that going on, so close to all the other electronics under the shell. I have not done mine yet, but I will probably mount the video TX on an arm, away from as much as possible.

• Hey Steve, totally agree after some functionality testing (described by David above), I decided to go another route. I didn't notice any real interference issues, however I just wasn't comfortable with it.

My original purpose for mounting it under the shell was because I wanted to use the short legs to cut down on weight and size. After some consideration, I decided that since I usually take off and land in tall grass the long legs were a good idea after all.

So after all that I went with Chip's method and zip tied it to the back leg with a 90 degree sma adapter to point the antenna down. I think it will get better airflow that way and keep it further away from the electronics in the shell.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test it out since the weather has turned to complete crap in the DC area for about 3 weeks now. The wind has been viscous and now it's snowing like crazy.

I'm really chomping at the bit to try it out since I got my Black Pearl monitor.

WP_20150221_14_04_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20150221_15_11_11_Pro.jpg

• David, here the link for 3dr video for theirs

3DR LiveView FPV Kit - Instructions & Setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1jjYG4vYo

YouTube
  • i have same setup-i zipped tied mine on back left arm.works fine.

• I thought about doing it like that too. If this doesn't pan out, I may go that route. I like having the VTX on the outside to get it away from the other electronics and it will also get massive airflow to keep it cool.

• Thanks for the quick replies. I'll work on getting the pictures fixed. Not sure what the issue is yet.

I'll describe how my install in the meantime. I mounted transmitter opposite/mirrored to the telemetry radio. I then ran an antenna extension around the perimeter of the upper case. Then I drilled a hole in the side of the upper case opposite/mirroring of the telemetry antenna. I currently have the antenna pointed down, again mirroring the telemetry antenna.

My concern is that the TX is directly under the GPS antenna, the extension crosses the telemetry extension and hugs the Pixhawk, and the antenna connection is very close to the RX pins. Nothing is touching other than some cabling.

I hot glued two small balsa pieces to the VTX and then hot glued them to the deck. I mounted it TX module up, like the telemetry radio for heat dissipation. It's a very solid mount and can be removed/modified if needed.

David, thanks for the testing procedure, makes total sense. I'll give that a shot and reply with my results.

Paul, looking forward to seeing how you set up your VTX when the pics issue is fixed.

• the pics are diydrones website problem

• OK I see that you mounted it in the front, it is close to the GPS antenna. If you have issue with getting satellites you might first try to turn the antenna 180 degrees so it is pointing down. This will create a greater distance between the GPS RX and the VTX antennas. 

• Cannot view  your jpg (actually cannot view my own also LOL) so you will have to wait for the sysadmin to fix the problem...

This is my setup, did not notice any differences in the RC and telemetry radio

This reply was deleted.