Weird Iris+ behavior.. Hard landing

So I finally got all my OSD issues resolved and went flying! Within 30 seconds I was on the ground though and I think my Tarot T-2D is toast...

I have a log, I've tried to analyze it but I can't get the auto-analyze tool in MP to read my file. Not sure if it matters or not but I'm on a Surface Pro 3 running W8.1. Log file is attached. 

I've seen some of you look at these an repeat almost to the minute detail what happened to a person flying... I immediately wrote notes about what I thought happened after the event  and I'll share those below. Can someone help me figure out how to read a log file and maybe offer some insight into what may have  happened? 

High level timeline of events...

Powered up TX (AltHld)

Plugged in battery

Couldn't get GPS lock with 10-12 sats showing on the TX, did not have MP running to analyze HDOP, waited approx 6-8 minutes (yellow LED flashing)

Unplugged battery

Powered down TX

Switched to Stabilize mode on the TX

Powered up TX

Plugged battery back in

Got blue LED on Iris+ within a few minutes

Switched back to AltHld on TX

Armed Pixhawk

Armed motors

Applied throttle relatively quickly due to slight breeze and location of launch

Got Green light (GPS lock)

Applied more throttle

Experienced extreme vertical acceleration

Throttled down quickly

Extreme rate of descent

Tried to throttle up, no apparent response

Hit ground hard

Tried to disarm motors (left stick down and left) no response, motors continued to spin at high RPM for approx 10-12 seconds

Centered left stick left-to-right and still all the way down

Moved left stick to left most position again still all the way down

Motors disarmed after approx 2-3 seconds

Disarmed Pixhawk

Unplugged battery

Turned off TX

Gimbal appears to be not responding or going through leveling sequence although I get the normal amber light and blinking blue light.Thankfully the my GP Hero 4 appears to be okay. I'll upload video in a few.

Very perturbed... I was planning to go film some footage at a state park this weekend. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Recent updates...

Installed minimOSD recently. Flew twice in the backyard with no signs of any issues

5/27/2015

Updated Mission Planner to 1.3.27 build 1.1.5620.38044

Performed Radio Calibration after re-centering trim on the radio

Updated to AC V3.2.1

Performed Compass Calibration

5/28/2015

Flew approx 1.5 batteries at nearby park. Great performance from Iris+ until the second landing. Would not disarm motors, had to put foot on the top of the quad until to keep from flipping while holding the left stick down and to the left. 

Also noticed during the first flight I did not have normal OSD information on my monitor. It continuously read "CHARACTER UPDATE". 

5/29/2015

The above sequence of events. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

just to note... the log does not match the description of the flight.  please find the correct log, and post it :)

• updated

• Developer

please post the log here....  double check the GPS location first.... looks like I spent a lot of time checking the wrong log...... 

• Looks like pre-arm checks was turned off and your GPS maybe bad.

Otherwise normal Throttle up and down that seem a little aggressive and your throttle Mid was set high at 700.

It looks like you tried to disarm without bringing the throttle all the way down so this causes the copter to try and Yaw to the right aggressively which does not help.

I have found trying to disarm in Alt hold or Loiter should not be tried with motors at anything other than idol.  Just lower the throttle and let it spin.  Otherwise switch to Stabilize and then try it.  In the next version of the firmware they will have an interlock mode where you can just stop the motors wherever.

Looks like the firmware you are running is out dated as well.

• Oh yea, and what do you mean GPS may be bad. As in the GPS sensor itself or the GPS data didn't look good?

• did you open a ticket off the Iris+ support website? Did you upload your flight to droneshare?

This is how you will get help..maybe even a new gimbal, from 3dr.

• Thanks for the pointer but I don't think I am eligiblefor 3DR support. I'll check though. As for uploading the log to DroneShare, not sure what file to upload to be honest or what that gets me? is that so 3DR can access the files?
    • so you can point the tech support guys to your flight log...uploads automatically if you have the tower app set up

• Thanks. I don't have tower connecting to my ellipsis tablet yet. Another struggle I have yet to figure out.
    • The log shows no GPS fix at all.  No satellites.  That's why there is a Loiter Flight Mode error as it can not use that mode without a 3D fix.

The Barometer shows very little altitude so don't know what's going on there.

Another test is needed with it only in Stabilize mode and just take off and then land to see that everything is again working.

The current firmware I thought was 3.2.1.  The logs shows 3.2.

This reply was deleted.