white IRIS...cooler IRIS?

I needed to take some video around noon and was getting high HDOP

The IRIS was sitting on the ground for about 5 minutes and when I went to unplug the battery

and reboot noticed that the top was hot.

I normally fly a dawn and just before sunset and found if my house is warmer than out side

get a better start up and less drift if the Iris is outside for 15 minutes before powering up.

Just an observation that now is a ritual with me.

It just seems that if the top of the iris was white the electronics would be cooler in the day.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Or...  maybe just some vents in the top and bottom shells and let the main propwash provide ventilation.

• The wide legs of the Iris really don't enable all that much air flowing thru the body off the prop wash....from the videos I've seen of the Iris development, their goal was stability in windy conditions....and in that regard they succeeded....I've flown in 25 mph winds...so...I'm going to the electronics shop today to get some components for my CHDK trigger circuit boards...I'll see what they have for micro fans.

• Where do you live Dan?  Down here in the Houston area the heat gain on the Iris top cover is rather instantaneous and fierce this time of year...so now I fly evenings and on cloudy days....I'm rather leery of hot sunny days and the Iris electronics overheating.

I believe the GPS receiver and the Pixhawk are exceeding their operating temp envelope on sunny days....I get those "GPS Glitch" alarms on Tower on hot or sunny days. (previous threads on a flyaway incident I had...)

I had thought of painting the top cover white, and placing a tiny cooling fan to blow air through the unit....

• I am at almost 6000' near the top of Palomar Mountain California.

• Indeed....heat transfer thru the plastic shell...

This reply was deleted.