Developer

What is Pixhawk 2?

www.pixhawk2.comPixhawk 2 is a small cube, with a 38.5mm square footprint.All connection to the cube is via a DF17 connector coming out the bottom of the cube.This modularity allows for multiple form factors to suit multiple platforms.For the stand alone market, it will be coming out in two form factors to start with, a "Full" configuration, and a "mini" configuration. The full will have connectors for everything, the kitchen sink.... While the mini is restricted to the bare essentials.For RTF's or kit aircraft, I am working on a series of plug and fly systems, that allow you to remove most of your wiring from your aircraft, and take advantage of the easy to use modular structure.The cube also has a massive quality advantage. Given that every single pin is available on the DF17 connection on the base, it allows complete factory full motion testing and calibration of each cube.Pixhawk 2 is continuing to grow. When we release the Pixhawk 2 stand alone, it will be using the latest sensors available on the market, in a form factor that allows the ultimate in flexibility.Please note. Pixhawk 2 Stand alone is NOT a 3DR product. It is a community driven product, designed by the community for the community.A key requirement for my partner companies who will be making this will be active support of the community.Looking forward to announcing more info soon!Philip RowseLead Systems EngineerProfiCNCLead EE on Pixhawk 2 PX4 and Ardupilot Dev team member(formally 3DR sponsored)

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer
    Would be great to not discuss how 3DR choose to run things, the Dev team remains strong, United and focused.
    • Congratulations and thanks a lot Philip. Can you show us some pictures? Any estimates of when it will be available?.

• Hi Philip

Great to see you making progress on releasing the Pixhawk 2 platform and that the devs are on board to support it's success. Can't wait to get my hands a few, put me on the list please! ;-)

From what I can tell from the picture the DF17 connector does the cable connection, but is there the possibility to use the screw holes to physically secure the PXH2 to the breakout board? If so are there any considerations to be made to dampen/isolate the breakout board, or is this all taken care of in the PXH2 itself?

The next question is I suppose is what breakout boards will be available to accompany the PXH2 when it goes on sale, as many will not be able to use it without one. Ideally I'd like to see a small form factor one with limited IO for small quads etc, along with another full IO version. The optimal version would be one coupled directly to a companion computer to allow computer vision, wifi comms and video etc all from the same packaging. This will likely put it one step ahead of what is currently out there. Maybe one based around the recently released Odroid C0 might be a compact variation worth pursuing, or around the XU4 for more performance? (BTW I realise that PXF/Navio etc fill that area somewhat, but I prefer my FC separate) I think that's where the industry will be heading next, and Pixhawks success was mostly due to the fact it was both innovative, accessible and people were successfully using them for many different applications. 

I'd also like to see some new CAN based hardware become the norm for peripherals (like the CANESC from PX4 etc). I think there is an opportunity to set new "standards" for hardware that can be developed in that area which will significantly improve the reliability and functionality of such hardware. This will further reduce the "wiring" birdsnest and resulting issues.

Regards

• Congratulations and thanks a lot Philip. Can you show us some pictures? Any estimates of when it will be available?.

• Admin

@Pmarche,

Here are a couple of pictures of the present Pixhawk2 configuration:

3702808602?profile=original

Cube in Carrier Board and Carrier Board Case

3702808567?profile=original

Top of Cube Bottom

3702808627?profile=original

Cube Bottom showing DF17 Connector and SD card slot

Regards,

Tom C AVD

• Is it just me or is there a short between 2 of your pins on the main chip? Near the top on the right side (2nd image).

• Developer
      They are joined, they are meant to be :)
This reply was deleted.