Solo Crash on Camera Flash

Flying my Solo this evening when it flew off and crashed across the street after my son took a picture of it while it was hovering in front of him. No warning - just went. Solo was completely unresponsive to control attempts. See the event here: https://youtu.be/m368_A9hIwQ

Uploaded log to 3DR. Really lucky no one was hurt as kids had just been watching. Second flight - battery was around 20% - getting a picture just before going to land it.

Broke 3 blades but no damage to Solo or GoPro.

Doesn't build confidence when it just decides to do its own thing...

3691219431?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Greetings to all.
    I can't leave you my feedback about "Solo" because at this round 3DR it decided to not send here a unit to do some tests, but i'm certain that this quad uses most of the "APM:Copter" code, which reached an incredible level of stability, i can safely say this.
    Talking with Chris i told him did not like the choice of the "Neo 7M" gps because for over a year i've been using the M8N, certainly higher as performance and slightly more expensive (few dollars), my YouTube channel is full of videos showing his performace.
    Regardless of all of this i believe that relying too much to automatic is dangerous, those who use these aircraft should always know how to fly in "Stabilize" mode (with only self level enable) for recovery because the gps and barometer can fail, and the gps unit "series 7 and 8" are very "picky" when you fly close to buildings or major obstacles that can create annoying signal rebounds, tested and verified here a lot of time.
    Even with my "DJI Phantom 3 Pro" yesterday i had a "strange" behavior, i was in gps hold and began to flyaway to 4m/s with both sticks to center position (classic "flyaway" caused by gps glitch), i switched to ATTI mode (alt hold) and i regained control, switched still gps hold and the aircraft stopped as it should do.
    We should not consider these aircraft as toys, still require a fair amount of experience of piloting, although theoretically can fly alone is said to be trusted too.
    The perfect machine does not exist, and when you fly you have to know this concept, to be able to better manage any eventuality.

My two cents...

Bests, Marco

• Greetings Marco, I have always had a great deal of respect for you and have followed your work for some time. I hope you don't mind that I posted your statement above on 3DR Pilots at http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/from-pixhawk-developer-and-gps-har...

If you would prefer I take it down just let me know. But I found it informative and thought others would as well.

Thank you

• Developer

Thanks Jubal, and whoever follows me.
      Much appreciated, no problem.

• Awesome - 3DR offered to cover damages to my Solo from crash! It was only 3 props but at least it was acknowledged I didn't initiate the problem! I dl the update.
  • Interesting comments about the Solo, 3DR and its reputation, the P3, etc ... But say, Craig Issod, you wouldn’t have an agenda posting here, by any chance?

I dunno, I was reading some of your posts in that other forum I do occasionally participate in. Quite enlightening, I’ve got to say. And you've got so many, all about the Solo and the Phantom 3! But one forum may not be enough, maybe, and there’s more you’d like to say?

Tell this community, for instance, that 3DR needs to  keep their devs off the Internet”? Or maybe inform us about the “Hubris of some others in 3DR employ”? Or falsely accuse again a 3DR  “lead engineer” of grossly insulting users, and giving him advice?  Inform us that  you’ll make sure you’ll spread the bad word about 3DR in your “investment circles”? (I am sure they matter...). Maybe tell us about your own (very influential, no doubt) forum, and that you think it’s your job to be a critic ?

How about a bit about open source, or your fine analysis on the subject of this thread? (you must be new to copters, not knowing how to fly nose in GPS mode?). Or tell us also how patient you are, waiting until you happily see a Solo hit water?  Have a word with thread starters about the Solo on this forum, too.  Maybe telling them about their "non existent" fan club?

RC Groups - View Single Post - DJI Phantom 3 vs 3DR Solo
    RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums,…
    • Hey John, You are right of course and posted what I have wanted to. But most just ignore him. His agenda and feelings are well known. But replying to him reminds me of the old 'Don't feed the bears' sign. If you reply to him, it encourages him to continue responding.

Fly Safe..

• Agenda other than being a journalist? (and definitely opinionated editorial writer, blogger, author on drones, etc.)

The answer is no.

Do you have one?

• This was nice to discover!

3702038696?profile=original

Going to manual mode automatically should be a big help!

• The latest from 3DR blog (just slightly edited here) includes more on the 1.05 update. They again reiterate to be mindful of objects in close proximity. 

"Solo will now fly better in environments where GPS signal may be less accessible or more sensitive, such as areas with peripheral objects like buildings and trees that can interfere with reception. But even with this improvement you’ll want to be mindful when you choose where to fly. Please stick to wide open places without nearby trees or structures (or food trucks!) that could occlude or interfere with the satellite signals Solo relies on for its GPS lock. This is especially important for new users who might not yet be comfortable flying in FLY:Manual mode."

• Now the new phantom 3 and Inspire GPS uses the GLONASS which is a Russia satellites along with the American sats. It says they can lock up to 16 sats. Does this help the drone keeps good lock? Would this help the Solo if it were able to use GLONASS? I have always been told to fly the least amount as possible in GPS mode which I do. As a still photog it works good, flying in stable mode then GPS hover when the shot is established. But Im sure the video guys are wanting the GPS lock for cable cam and POI autonomous flying.

This reply was deleted.