Error Altitude too high

I am trying to fly a mission on a Coal Surface mine using a DJI Inspire 1 Pro. The area I am trying to fly used to be a valley that they have converted into a Impoundment and fill area. The elevation change is roughly about 80 feet from the surface model in UGCS. I have added a new surface model and made sure the elevation Z order was reflecting the new surface model.

I did notice that when I turn the drone on while setting on the ground it reads an AGL of -20 feet. I selected my update takeoff point altitude and selected the button to read the elevation from the current surface model and it updated it everything looked correct my AGL was reading 0 ft.

However, as soon as I select upload mission to vehicle my Agl changed backed to -20 feet and gave me the error Altitude too high when trying to execute the mission. Like it ignored the update takeoff point altitude.

Any suggestion?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Please check min AMSL and max AMSL in elevation profile window. Difference should be lower comparing to the limit set in DJI GO app.

Limit set in DJI GO (in reality this is a limit stored in autopilot, if you never set max altitude it has some factory default value) is compared to altitude relative to the take-off position, not to AGL along whole route.

• I am also getting the error that "Altitude is too high".

UgCS shows my drone at -3.5m AGL

My home point is right next to my drone

My first waypoint is set to 50m AGL

My max AGLs are set to 120m

DJI Go App corresponds to these as well.

What is going on?

• Copy of my comment from another thread.

-------------------------------------

Hi Colin,
    most likely you exceeding limit set in DJI GO/DJI GO4 app. Please check limit here.
    Here can be confusing situation. Suppose you have 50m limit set in DJI GO app. And all waypoints in the route will have 45m AGL for example. But if your flight area are isn't flat some waypoints can have altitude above take-off point bigger then 50m - in such case you will get error message "Altitude is too hight".

• Thanks for your comments, I originally started a new thread with this problem then found this thread so commented here as well.

As far as the altitude settings go, in the vehicle profile we have 'Max AMSL' set to 3000m (actual elevation 1076m), 'Max AGL' set to 600m (we never got above 50m) and in the mission parameters we have "Max altitude above gnd' set to 600m. We are flying a Matrice 600 so the Inspire restriction shouldn't apply.

We had a waypoint next to the homepoint set at 50m then the area survey set at 200m. We normally take off manually after uploading the mission on the ground then at 30m or so we activate the mission. This usually works OK but not in this case.

• Colin Girvan said:

Has a solution been found for this problem, as we're having the same difficulty.

I've noticed the issue with updating the Take off Altitude then having it revert back when we upload the mission. Our takeoff altitude discrepancy has only ever been 1 to 4 m so we usually ignore it.

The big problem is the Altitude too high error message when we try to launch the mission as this stops the mission from starting. We don't get any error messages when creating or uploading.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

Colin,

If you add a waypoint about where your start point is it will work perfectly. I usually fly around 260 feet AGL so I add the first waypoint basically where the drone is setting ans put an altitude of 200 ft agl and everything works great for me.

I would also suggest prior to going to the site to run your mission with this first waypoint added in the simulator. It will show you if it will work or not. We tried this on a mining site where they added about 80 feet of material. So when my drone was sitting on the ground it thought it was 80 feet in the air. We ran the simulator without adding the first waypoint and received the altitude too high error. Ran it again after adding the first waypoint directly above us or close to us and worked perfectly.

• Dear Colin,

Let me start with apologies for not answering sooner.

Nonetheless the drone and settings in software may have several limits of AGL.

Let’s take a look together to them:

The first limit is in the Properties of the route in UgCS. 

The second limit is in Profile of the drone in UgCS. 

The first and the second limits you may change in UgCS as you like.

But there is the third limit that exists in DJI Inspire1 Pro drone and it cannot be changed. Unfortunately you may fly not more than 500 m from Take-off AGL during one flight (from Take-off to Landing points).

Best regards,
    Anna Moshkova

Colin Girvan said:

Has a solution been found for this problem, as we're having the same difficulty.

I've noticed the issue with updating the Take off Altitude then having it revert back when we upload the mission. Our takeoff altitude discrepancy has only ever been 1 to 4 m so we usually ignore it.

The big problem is the Altitude too high error message when we try to launch the mission as this stops the mission from starting. We don't get any error messages when creating or uploading.

Colin

• Has a solution been found for this problem, as we're having the same difficulty.

Colin

• After skype conference with Michael, we have found a way to avoid such problems. The idea is to have first waypoint as close as possible to current drone location. Even if you are using only an area scan, please, add this one extra waypoint in the mission begining.   

• The same problem occurs here. I did some flights last week and everything worked fine.

Today I tried a new mission and this problem appeared.

I'm using UgCS 2.10.1058, Android 5 with App 2.3.211 and Phantom 3 Advanced.

• Any ideas on the altitude too high issue? I am wondering if you select update takeoff altitude and upload the mission why it does not keep the updated takeoff altitude? Because on this site I am trying to fly if I go down to the impoundment area I get an AGL of around -70 feet. It seems to me if you update the takeoff altitude that should override the actual elevation position when you upload to vehicle, if not what is the purpose of he update takeoff altitude?

This reply was deleted.