Build Tips & Tricks

Hi all,

I'm about to start building my third X8 tomorrow (crashed due to a horrible gust on launch at 6.6kg all up). I notice a lot of peeps are managing to put the batteries in the middle of the fuselage. Just wondering how people have managed to balance this for CoG? For my setup (albeit with a meaty 1.8kW potor & 16x10 prop) I have to have 2x 7s LiPos as far forward as possible to just get the CoG correct.

Just interested if there is anything obvious I am overlooking? I want to keep the pitch inertia low by having everything heavy near the CoG if possible.

All ideas welcome!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Day 2 of my new build. As per Chris's suggestion I have moved the main gear rearwards and added some ply strengthening. I will also be bolting through, top2bottom through the ply and main undercarriage.

As before I've included a rotation ground clearance picture of a 16" prop. One really good modification I did on my old build, which I would suggest to everyone is the double motor mount and screwing through. Much safer. I also added a couple more cooling holes for the motor.

As always, suggestions, comments or criticisms welcome!

3692790122?profile=original

3692790160?profile=original

3692790147?profile=original

3692790211?profile=original

• Awesome. Have you got any pics at all so I can see it?

Im thinking of replacing the elevons with ply also to try and stop some of the flutter I had on the old x8

• Thought I'd share my build log so far. Fitted a fixed undercarriage to the bottom section. The last picture for scale shows the maximum rotation angle before a prop strike with a 16" prop.

Steerable noseleg

AlphaWing Large undercarriage

102mm Diamond tread wheels

Hitec Coreless Digital Metal Gear servo

3692789048?profile=original

3692789348?profile=original

3692789524?profile=original

3692789574?profile=original

3692789479?profile=original

• If you hang an undercarriage aft and use a beefy motor, I don't see how you can put the batteries in the centre section. More weight aft = more weight forward, no way of getting round that.

This reply was deleted.