Here we go again!
Same place, same time in 2018, and mostly the same rules!
The main differences to last years event are:
- 3 separate prizes depending on level of achievement
- $25,000 for completing the mission with the highest points
- $25,000 for using type 2 autonomy (now being redefined as "no controller/user interference, but with constant comms link to controller)
- $25,000 to avoid Dynamic No Fly Zones (details yet to be disclosed)
- Manual hand launches are no longer considered autonomous (excluding them from getting type 2 prize)
- Layout of course is different, with only the first two waypoints needing to be completed in order and the inclusion of no fly zones
Still the same:
- Range and VTOL required to pickup the blood sample from the remote landing site
- Aircraft size allowances, propulsion etc
- Geofence requirements (addition of no fly zones)
- Comms required when retrieval aircraft is on the ground at remote landing site (ADS-B transponders might be introduced)
Overall it seems like the biggest change in comparison to the last one in 2016 is the emphasis on, and the extra prizes for automation. The aircraft platforms are the same, so our last one should work fine.
Time to start building...or should I say coding? :-)
Link to OBC site: https://uavchallenge.org/medical-express/