Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Tags: ACM, Heli, Quad, Traditional

Views: 61564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Rui,

I have flown and tested from monocopter (heli) to hexacopter and as far as I am concerned, personnaly, I think that more the motors more the payload and better the lift efficiency. My small quad (F450) is able to lift about 250 g of payload and my hexacopter (MK Mikkrocopter) is able to lift up to 1.5 kg of payload...

Here a rough calculation:

Take the TOW (Take Of Weight in Kg) including the payload, for a quadcopter, the (TPR) Total Power Requirement is: TPR = TOW * 800 Watts/kg , so, for a quad (N=number of motors), this give for each motor,

the MPR (Motor Power Requirement) : MPR = TPR / N

i;e. for a quadcopter of 1 Kg (payload included), we have a TOW = 1 kg

this gives a MPR = 1 * 800 / 4 = 200 Watts

So four motors of 200 Watts for this quadcopter.

You need to use a low Kv brushless motor (about 550 to 700 Kv) with a big diameter propeller (i.e. 12 x 4.5) ..

I hope that I have answered to your question...

Regards, Jean-Louis

Hi JL :) I was wondering more about other factors like stability in flight, greater horizontal speed with less inclination, etc, those extra motors I believe will make the difference to, and stability in windy conditions. Thank you.

Hello Rui,

That depends of what kind of mission you want... (Aerial photos/videos, topographical mapping, site survey, SAR mission...)

i.e. If you need to use a heavy camera (Nikon D5..), you need to use a heavy octocopter (high powered) with a stabilized camera platform. This will allows you to do flight mission in high wind due to the strong inertial of this device...

i.e. if you need to do a site survey for tracking object (car, people...), a small quad (low visual signature, low noise, stealth...) with a flir camera is recommended, it is highly manoeuvrable and able to flight missions at high speed and in various wind conditions. No heavy payload is required in this case...

i.e. if you need to do a long endurance and long range reco mission at a medium altitude... Its better to use a plane (with arduplane), the Maja Drone is the best here... Forget multicopters in this case...

There is no "magic" design which is able to do all kind of missions in all weather conditions...

Regards, Jean-Louis

Its my Opinion the size of the copter is a major factor in stability.

I am flying a tri with 1m sticks and it is far more stable them 90% of the copters I see here.

Quads and octo have trouble getting that big because then they don’t yaw properly.

Also of course, response time of the motors, and light weight props, tuning    ect make a difference

Video it from Tri-copter… APM2.. 4.2.1

Eddie Weeks

www.jetlens.com

http://youtu.be/qtzQ9HbAFWM

Hi,Randy! Does Arducopter 2.4 support X-Plane simulation and Qgroundcontrol? How can I do that?

Hi folks,

i got 2.41 on my octo.So far , no problems,brilliant flying experience,big thanks to the devs.

But,if i connect the servos of my cam gimbal,i got  a weird behavior of my octo.

Motors start without any reason,whole thing is uncontrollable.Does anyone have the same issue with 2.41 ?

Fred

Which APM?

Fred, how are you powering up the board ? Via a separated ubec or via one of the ESCs' bec ? If it's the last case, and it's a 2amp BEC, you might be experiencing what we call brown outs, that is, the board may not be receiving enough power to feed itself, the peripherals (like gps) and the servos, causing abnormal behaviour. Try to power it up with a 3 or 5 amp ubec to see it the problem goes away.

It got the power of one of the esc´s,which is 3  amps.That´s not enough ?Don´t have a ubec here,might as well feed the servos from an other esc´s bec ?

Fred

Yes you may try that also, so only signal cable is connected from the board to the servos, since it could be a peak drain somehwere that could cause the board to malfunction.

You were right, Rui.

I only connected  one servo,everything ok.

Thanks a lot.

btw got APM 1

Fred

Hi folks,

i found the solution for my problem.

As Rui mentioned , i didn´t have enough power.

What i did: connect four esc´s powercable to APM.

Works fine

Fred

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service