Hi Folks,

I have searched this forum but still can't find the easiest way to control the APM 2.5+ via Ethernet / Internet.

I just want to be able to update its waypoints via a router / ethernet solution.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good how to guide?

Or at least some converter board that will get the job done.

Thanks,

Adam

Views: 563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This site has a group for this endavour. As far as I remember (it's been a while since I went through the threads), there's no single how-to/build log document, but there's lots of information there, nevertheless.

I have an idea, myself, about doing it with a Raspberry Pi on board, and a 3G USB modem. The connection to APM could be USB or serial. This is mostly because it seems to compete nicely, price-wise (Arduino modems are expensive, I think. I can acquire a Raspberry Pi and a 3G USB modem for less than a 3G ardu shield). Yup, I'm a high-tech scroooge..

Should one need to connect with Bluetooth, WiFi or even ethernet, this is also possible. All without changing or adding to the Ardupilot code, which, for me, is a good thing.

I also have another reason, but maybe more on that at a later time - need to test some stuff first.

The Raspberry Pi could be running a remote controlled QGC or maybe MAVProxy.

I read somewhere (can't find a link right now), that there's a web-frontend for MAVProxy, or at least that someone is working on it. I think I'd prefer MAVProxy myself, as it would allow me to run a head-less linux on the Raspberry Pi; the web-frontend allows you to use 'any' device (for example a tablet or smartphone) to update waypoints, trim PID values or whatever, without writing software for the specific platform (Android, IOS, etc.).

Also, MAVProxy is written in Python, where I have a little 'edge' compared to .net, C++ and such, so it would be easier for me to tweak, should the need arise.

When (or if) I get it done, you can be sure that I will post a build log, but please don't hold your breath :)

The simplest method, would be to add a small install a Android cellphone onboard, and use it's a USB/serial adapter on it's USB host.

Surely, there is a board that will connect to the TTL UART connection on the APM2.5 and output to a ethernet cable.

I already have a good router comms setup I just would like to integrate the APM 2.5 into this existing setup.

Any suggestions?

Adam

Reply to Discussion

RSS

DIY Drones Monthly
Newsletter

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2016   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service