Has anyone built an ArduPlane that runs on Nitro Fuel?

I see a lot of discussions about flight times and how to extend times.  As nice as electric power is, fuel is still king.  The Drones that the military fly, run on fuel and have long flight times.

Has anyone tried building an ArduPlane drone that runs on Nitro Fuel?  If so, what sort of flight times did you receive?  What model plane?  Engine?  I may try this over the summer...

Kevin

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 5hp, gasoline engine, big plane...almost 10 ft w/s. but expensive ($2000).  Has 3 hours flight time off 1 gal 93 octane/ 2cycle oil.  Army gets flight time out of wet wings (tanks in wings) w/more powerful egines...34+ hp.

fpvhobby.com  please leave some available for me...lol

I am selling my nitro planes because of the hassle...cost...

kyosho calmato and p-51 for sale

• It is best to use a weedwaker motor converted and lightened with electronic cdi. Costs are minimal ($20) and you can run cheap gasoline. You can convert these to run nitro with a glow plug adapter, but nitro is expensive. Power outputs are 3hp with a modded 28cc motor.These motors can fly a siseable aircraft and mission time can be really long if optomised. Converted weight is very low compared to power output.This what most "pro" UAV systems use.
  • You cannot say that military uses only fuel engines. I work in the industry and I know of many UAS that have electric propulsion sys.. An hav 2-3 hr flight times.
  • vibration is still the primary issue with fuel engines. its possible but you need a lot of vibration isolation to decouple the engine from the airframe and the AP from the airframe.

This reply was deleted.

Activity