- Featured Video -
For prior video's check the discussion posts below.
Greetings, I'm starting a build log for the Nitro-003 RQ-11 Raven model by Projet. This is the first entry in the build log and covers most of the planned build. Subsequent entries will be made detailing portions of the build.
Project: From my personal experience with the Nitro-003 Raven model I have found that the model flies great but is very light weight and in desperate need of structural upgrades if you plan to fly in the field where landing is on anything other than manicured lawn. I fly in a farmer's field, a good portion of the year there are huge chunks of earth and clumps of grass or weeds that are landing obstructions. Structural upgrades are not an option.
Nitro-003 week points/Upgrades:
1. Tail. The tail is way too weak and will break. Our model will utilize a Coroplast tail of the same dimentions as the stock tail wing. Our tail will be removable.
2. Vertical Stabilizer. Not as weak as the tail but still weak. Our model will use the stock structure but covered with 1/32 balsa sheet. Sheeting will be prepped and painted. Stabilizer will be removable.
3. Fuse. Single layer fiberglass is fragile. Our model will be reinforced on the inside surfaces with a second layer of 2oz fiberglass. Surfaces will also be covered with a reinforcing fiber sheet. It's lightweight and super strong. Our model will also have a removable skid plate made to cover the entire front of the plane and the bottom surface. This will help to reinforce the structure and reduce damage that occurs during harder landings.
4. Center Wing Section. The bolts provided with the kit are too small and rip out frequently even on gentler landings. Our model will utilize upgraded Dubro Nylon Wing bolts. They are easier to install and plenty strong. The center section of the wing is also prone to crushing if you tighten the wing too much. Our model will have the center section filled with rigid expanding glue to reinforce this area and a disk to disperse the force of the bolt clamping down on the wing. The wing will also get little wing former's with tabs that allow the wing to be broken down.
(anyone who knows how to embed a video on DIYDrones into a discussion page, please let me know)
Project Intro video
Find more videos like this on DIY Drones
Second video in project
Projet Nitro-003 RQ-11 Raven Build Project. 3rd Video in series.
hi I'm looking for the file parameter for raven RQ 11 =)
Looking to be able to rebuild the fuse of my Raven using Aramid fiber instead of fiberglass but that will be later. The first use of the mold is going to be the removable skid plate for our project Raven.
Aramid sheets are available on E-bay (search 4 Kevlar) in all kinds of colors. Price is about $30 per yard, which isn't that bad considering you get something much stronger and lighter than the original fuse.
Hopefully the rigid foam fills the entire void inside the casting. I used the rigid stuff for large gaps. I've read what I can find online regarding using this stuff and pretty much figure the casts are a one time shot (hopefully not) so the foam was laid in with as much full coverage I could get on the surface of the cast then extra was shot into the areas where it's wider. I'm hoping I've got the right amount of foam in the mold to give it some density but not enough to blow out the mold...
From what I've read, it's a little tricky if the cast is sealed up
like mine... I'll post more Monday evening...Wish me luck!
I'm going to pull a skid plate off the form for the Raven RQ-11 model by ProJet as my first test. As soon as the paint cures and I can wax up the form I'll start on the skid plate. It'll cover the nose to protect the thin FG on the Raven in the event of a nose-in landing as well as a thicker underbelly to absorb the brunt of the landings. Thickish double-sided foam tape will be used to fasten the skid to the Raven.
Very nice. Are you able to make new fuselages? I have one, and NitroPlanes looks like they will never get any more in. I agree with your needed improvements. I would like to build one as a v-tail or t-tail to get the horizontal stab. up out of harm's way. I'd like to buy some fuselages if you know of anyone that can make them. Thanks.
I have only made a skid plate so far. I'm taking the form I made above and will make some molds to build halves that can be assembled. The skid plate I built is/was a longer process than it needs to be. My goal is to be able to make the halves using a vacuum process to squeeze out excess resin and to in crease strength and decrease weight over a hand lay-up process. Plus it's loads faster.
I also have some foam wings to replace my main wing (thanks again SIMON :P). I'd like to use a vacbag and kevlar cloth coat. I'll be posting some pics of the skid plate and the fuse I'm assembling for my friend Simon, maybe on Sunday... Weekends are just too short!
I really like this shot. I know it's dark but the camo job really blends in well with the cobble stones on my stoop. You can't see the skid plate in this pic (cause it's MIA) but other than attaching the skid plate to the fuse, which will be done with two sided tape, the plane is basically done and is ready for reassembly. Need to solder the connector for the ESC and attach the latch for the side hatch for the rest we'll need Simon's radio gear to set the throws (super important) and basic operations... Maybe maiden on Friday! or Thursday...
I have same problem with my raven flight good but is very weak.
I put epoxy inside the fuselage, this solution makes my airplane too much heavy.
Could you post video how to use kevlar to make much stronger fuselage.
When I get there I"ll be posting that up. First I'll setup a FG fuse and then go on from there... Posting all along the way.