Quad or Hex to lift 18oz camera at 7500 MSL?

Hi guys,

New to this but have been doing a lot of reading.  I want to buy the 3DR quad or Hexa.  Main purpose is aerial photos.

I live in Santa Fe.  My house is at just below 7000 MSL, and there is a lot or terrain around this part of New Mexico that goes higher.

I want to take pictures using a "good" camera...not necc a DSLR, but it would be nice to know I had that option in the future.

I have looked up the lifting capabilities of the quad and hexa...the quad seems OK, being able to lift, oh, a 24oz camera and mount (small DSLR's are 28oz...but that OK, I don't HAVE to be able to lift one)...that 24oz is with the standard motors and 10-inch props.

But...that 24oz figure is probably at sea level?  So...I am wondering how the lifting ability drops off at higher altitudes, and how much lifting capability I would gain by going with the upgraded motors and 11-inch props.

I know the hexa seems to be the obvious choice, but what cons does the hexa bring to the table re: aerial photography?  Does the landing gear present more of a problem?  How about vibrations from 6 motors instead of four for video?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you mean to say feet above sea level instead of meters? The hexacopter in the store should be able to handle it just fine. Even at sea level I wouldn't try to carry a DSLR with the factory configured quadcopter since you trade maneuverability for payload so even basic maneuvers become very difficult.

This reply was deleted.

Activity