Windows recognizes APM as FT232R USB UART

Hello Folks,

I bought an APM and I just now connected it to my Windows 7 PC. As soon as I connect, the LEDs started flashing (which I think is a good thing). I followed the documentation on http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/APM2Code to load the driver. However, when I go to my "Device Manager" I see that the device is listed as "FT232R USB UART" under "Other devices". I went ahead anyway to update the driver and when I point it to the folder having the newly downloaded driver, it doesn't recognize it. I think that is because of it being listed as FT232R USB UART. 

I tried different USB cables but  the same result. I tried a different computer and on this one, the device is listed under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in the Device manager as "USB serial converter". 

Is something wrong with my PC or APM is not working? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

John

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses. I was able to make the mission planner connect to the APM2 fine. I learnt that the APM module may not be shown under "Other devices" in windows device manager. Mine was shown under "Port.." in the device manager. Also, the APM was not listed as "ArduMega" or anything like that. It was listed under "Ports.." as "FT232.." but worked fine as soon as I hit the "connect" button on the mission planner.

btw, I am on a 32bit win 7 ultimate edition and I didn't have to install FTDI or APM drivers..

Thanks,

john

• i have also 32 bit win7, but there i am still no able to install drivers. it tells me that those arduino 2560 driver is not for 32-bit systems.. :/
  • after reinstalling some drivers (and .net framework) and several reboots i finally able to recognize the APM2. but after try to connect in mission planner i am getting following screen:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/mperror.png/

what does it mean ? is my APM defective or is this just SW issue?
  • APM2
  • 3D Robotics

Do you have an APM 1 or APM 2?

• i have win7 x64 version
  • i have the same problem.
    and yes, i already installed FTDI drivers...
  • Did you install FTDI drivers ?

This reply was deleted.

Activity