3D Robotics Iris update

Thought I'd pass on this tidbit for anyone else who's been waiting for their Iris pre-order to arrive.  I got the following message earlier today from 3DR support:

"Dear customer,

We are contacting you today in regards to your order xxxxxx, containing an Iris.

We have been informed that due to some improvements on the product, all Iris orders are being delayed and expected to be shipped early February, as an estimate.

We are working very hard to improve the design to guarantee you all, the best quality in our products.

We appreciate your ongoing loyalty to us as well as your understanding.

Please let me know if I can further assist you."

Agh!. But I guess it's better for them to make fixes (uh, sorry... "improvements") before we get it rather than after.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have a development Iris, and was lucky enough that it flies pretty well.

But there have been kinks, and some, although few in occurrence, can have severe effects. Expected from a development trial. But the kinks have been ironed out, and all the while, new firmware is developing at a tremendous rate. What has changed from 3.0.1 to 3.1.1 has been incredible. And the physical improvements to the Iris I envy.

The developers have had to drill holes, cut, the outer shell, design camera mounts or longer legs. Now it comes, RTF and you can get all the bells and whistles out of the box.

If I want an Iris, like the one you are going to get, I'm going to have to buy a new one!! :(

It really is worth the wait. Iris has grown up, and what a beauty she is!!

• As a typically patient individual, I just began looking for information on this topic today since I didn't receive any notification about a delay. I placed my order on November 26th. I sent an email this morning asking about the status. Considering their funding situation, I'll be interested to know what they are planning to do to keep folks on the preorder list from bailing out. If the answer is "thanks for hanging in there and the product will be all the better for it", well I might expect that from a Kickstarter backed project. But not from a company that has $30 million in funding and a lot of positive hype due to the Amazon.com commercial. 

• Well, Chris, it would have been nice to receive, say, an email from 3DR stating that. I ordered mine on the 2nd of December and have not received one single update from your people. Instead I was left to trawl forums for tidbits of information...correct or not. Not the way to conduct business IMHO.
  • I made a phone call after receiving similar bad news emails today to hear now not shipping until March!  Bad way to start off.

This reply was deleted.

Activity