3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 100KM

Ready to Fly Quads has a pretty good price on the original 3DR 915MHz telemetry radio sets.   They have 433MHz too.

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/3dr-radio-telemetry-kit-915mhz

I have gotten several M8N uBlox GPS modules from them and found that they work well.   I am planning on getting some of these try telemetry radios next.    Still, I am sure glad I ordered a few extra telemetry radios from 3DR last year.   :-)

• Developer

And for those of you promoting ready to fly quads please refer to http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/an-open-letter-to-paul-from-wit... he is another person who has no respect for the dev team

He is definitely not a supporter of this project.

• There are plenty of good reasons to not support RTF Quads other than not being a supporter of the project. You get MUCH better customer service from Banggood and Goodluckbuy, not to mention Hobbyking. Those companies are quite impressive actually. I often get my stuff in 8-9 days from China. I simply think RTF quads is just proof that some companies can succeed by pricing everything $1 lower then the competition -- he is usually $1 lower than Banggood! If something is DOA or missing with RTFQuads you can basically forget about it. Dealing with the cable company is more rewarding. He has no staff really and no margin built in to ever have staff.

This may not be the place to discuss this but I do wish that the Dev team could find a better way to support themselves than 'moral blackmail.' I was never really interested in buying from 3DR as I never thought your web store was very compelling (sorry, no offense meant -- and it is moot now as it pretty much does not exist). But I would want to support the dev team (in ways other than buying a Solo) or remembering to donate (and that is not a good funding model).

Maybe 'Dronecode' can find a way to address this, as I imagine it is now the future of Arducopter. I would buy an annual 'Dronecode' subscription for example for maybe premium access, maybe some online features, interactions with devs, coffee mugs etc etc. Whatever. I think a lot of people might pay $5 per month or just $60 per year, or something. Just a thought. Maybe someone can start a thread on this.

• 100KM

Craig,  I am not promoting RTF quads.    However the 3D Robotics web store no longer carries the 3DR-radio-telemetry kits.   So my choices for low cost telemetry radios are now RTF Quads or HK.   I will get some of both.

• Developer

So long as you understand that the reason you can no longer buy radios in the 3DR store is because of people buying them from companies like readytoflyquads who have never contributed to the development.

You can buy the Sik radio Jdrones and like I said elsewhere Jdrones is a supporter of this project.

• We have many 915 radios in stock; store.uavsolutions.com

If you do not see what you need please email us at info@uavsolutions.com

Best

Bill D.

This reply was deleted.

Activity