3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is this The Donald?

"Perhaps you are not American? We have this 1st Amendment thing where the Press (that's me) tries to flush out the things that power/money/politics don't want you to know.
        Do you read reviews? Even listen to film critics? Read opinion and editorial?"

OK, I'm out.  

This forum was meant for the original question, 900mhz telemetry.  I'm on here to learn & answer questions when I can & that's been invaluable.  

& my ancestors fought in the Revolution.  

• +1 !!!!!  well said Heller

And back to the original discussion.. it would be great if rfddesign would fill the void and make a 100-250 mw radio. I know I'd gladly pay more than one on HK knowing it's made by rfedesign / tested by them. 

• Developer

jDrones as original creator of ArduCopter, member of core development team and one of the founding pillars of everything that goes in here is still continuing to support those old telemetry modems.

Our modems are not like what 3DR made. We enhanced them a lot. They are still using same HopeRF HM-TRP modules as original 3DR but rest is changed.

Frequencies we offer are: 433. 868 and 915Mhz

You can find those from jDrones Store. But we prefer those jD-RF900 and jD-RF868 longrange telemetries as they are just million times more better than HopeRF based systems.

jD-RFxx systems are really designed to be a robust telemetry system for APM/Pixhawk and for other flight-controllers that are using serial interface.

Longest range what our customers have reported is over 80kms with these telemetry systems.

So no need to go to HK, just get them from jDrones :)

• Jani,

would it be possible to use an RC Tx as a "joystick" to control the UAVs using these modems. Essentially removing the need to have both telemetry radios and an rc Tx?

Thanks

• Developer

Yes that is possible too but currently we don't support it that way. Why? As most of RC TXes don't output anything else but PPM signal and currently RFDs cannot take PPM signaling in. There has been plans with Seppo to make one adapter board that could do this.

BUT you can fly with a real joystick. I made first joystick flights already on 2011 and that was done with Xbee telemetries and early stage ArduCopter firmware. Now with RFDs we can go a lot longer distances and MissionPlanner/ArduCopter software has evolved tons since this flight so it's a lot easier now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEDjRcjrn7w  Link to my old test vid.. Note too aggressive throttle operation but hey.. it's about 5 years ago ;)

Making RC TX control needs just some coding on the RCTX software (for example FrSky Taranis radios or OpenTX radios)

• Pitty i cant find 433Mhz in your shop....

• Developer

You mean long range or short range modems? Long range only exists on 868 and 915 Mhz models.

• Jani,

Are all of your 915Mhz modems (long and short range)100% compatible, plug and play with Pixhawk?

J

• Developer

As being one of the creators of these all.. For sure they are. It would be rather stupid to make stuff that is not compatible with "your" other stuff :)

• I figured as much Jani, but, hence the title of my OP, I just wanted to make sure.

Cheers mate

J

This reply was deleted.

Activity