Introduction

Hi all, I've been lurking this site for a month or so and I finally decided to register. I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself; hopefully I'll be able to contribute to discussions when I am more experienced.I'm a junior at Roosevelt High School in Honolulu, HI. I've been interested in robotics and programming ever since I joined my school's first experimental Botball (a Lego robotics competition) team. Since then, I've purchased my own kit and have completed many personal projects. I'm hoping to major in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering at Carnegie Mellon University, Cal Poly SLO, Georgia Tech, University of Michigan, or any of the UCs, and then maybe pursue a higher degree in robotics.But back to the present. I've grown tired of the Lego Mindstorms set and waslooking to expand my horizons when the Basic Stamp 2 kit caught my eyes. So here we are today.Me and two of my friends (who have also been involved with Botball) have decided to build a simple UAV for this year's Hawaii State Science and Engineering fair. We're fairly experienced (for teenagers) in the areas of programming and robotics, but when it comes to model aircraft and electronics, it's all gibberish. Nonetheless, for the past two months we've been diligently researching everything there is to know about UAVs (which is how I came across this site).You can browse our website here, if you like. It's only about half done, and I completely botched the wing design (I incorrectly reasoned that the dimensions of a wing and its area were directly proportional, so I ended up scaling it up way too much), but you can still see what we've done so far. We ended up just choosing the Multiplex Easy Star as our airframe because we could not find anyone to build for us.http://www.project-uav.net/index.htmlCurrently, we're waiting on responses from a local defense contractor company as well as our school to see if we can get any possible funding. You can read our project proposal here, but I'm sure it's quite unprofessional by your standards. There are probably quite a few factual errors, and they'll probably be glaring obvious to the amateur UAV masters =)http://www.project-uav.net/ProjectUAVProjectProposal.pdfAnyway, before I ramble on, I just wanted to introduce myself and the project we are working on. Happy holidays everyone.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics
    Welcome! My BASIC Stamp tutorial is just in time ;-) Although, by the looks of it, you're far past needing it....
This reply was deleted.

Activity