Helicopter UAV based on a Raptor 30

Hello everyone!Just got my board manufactured a few weeks ago, so it's time to post a little description of my ongoing project here, so this is it:heliboardhalfassembled.jpgHere is what's embedded onboard:Processing elements:- CPU: Microchip dsPIC33F256 at 40Mhz, allowing a processing power of 40MIPS and with 12bit resolution ADC for better accuracy in measuring the values of analog sensors.- FPGA: Will take care of converting PWM data from receiver (12 channels supported) and reencode PWM data to servos (12 channels). This way the board is able to support any receiver available, including thoses using PCM encoding.Sensors:- 3 axis accelerometer with 4 sensitivity scale (from Freescale)- 1 axis gyro on the Z axis, with a 150°/s max sensitivity, and integrated temperature sensor- 2 axis geomagnetic compas- Barometric pressure sensor- 2 hall effect sensor, for rotor ans motor RPM monitoring- Thermocouple, for engine temp. sensing- Electric field imaging device with 3 antennas (one for monitoring fuel level)- Ultrasonic range finder, up to 8 meter (driven by the FPGA)- 12 channels WAAS GPS receiver, outputing NMEA or proprietary 5Hz protocolCommunication:- Embedded audio/video transmitter with 2km range- Modem (integrated in FPGA) for sending live flight data to ground on the audio channel of the transmitter- Orders can be sent by dedicating one of the remote control channelImaging:- An embedded sony 7.2Mpix still digital camera with video mode. All controls (zoom, focus, shooting mode, trigger) are operated remotely- Tilt rig from 0 to 90°, for pointing the camera remotelyMisc:- An embedded 4 elements LiPO battery charger, and intelligent battery fuel gauge embedded in the battery pack- Pushbuttons, buzzer and LEDs- Serial port for ground debugThe board is still in testing stage, and most of the passive components need to be ordered, but it is comming. The real challenge will come with programming!On this aspect, I have only 4DOF on the inertial unit...this raise the same questions that Harrison Jones have in his dual axis accelerometer project, as far as how much will be enough for hovering. I still have an easy way to upgrade my board to 6DOF if I need it but I would rather avoid it if possible.I understand that gyro on the yaw axis is absolutely mandatory to keep the heading (plus the compas will help), but any displacement of the helicopter should generate an acceleration. I understand then that there's lot of issues as to what created the acceleration and how to process it, as well as drift due to noise and the minute measurements necessary. However, I don't understand how gyros can help if the helicopter is in constant velocity translation: the accelerometer won't register the displacement of course, but the gyros shouldn't as well as there's no angular velocity involved in translation.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

Is there any possibility that you might be able to point me to a good source for information on the electric field imaging that you have implemented?  It would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave.

• good
  • 100KM
    very nice project . as far as gyros and accelerometers go , even at a constant speed your going to get some change in translation velocity due to changes in variables such as wind speed , direction , centrifical forces and engine vibration most of these "false" acceleration reading (not gravity) can be filtered out, a simple way to do this is rc filters and in the algorithm take a bunch of samples and run a average over the course of a second or so . you then can use this data to re-bias the gyros
  • That has got to be the grand daddy of all diy uav boards! Very nice!

Any ideas how one of these would perform?:
    http://www.mil-embedded.com/products/search/fm/id/?20583

Wouldn't mind bouncing a few questions regarding digital circuit design if you have the time?

Howz the software coming along? Do you use verilog or vhdl for the fpga?
  • Just did more soldering work on my board since I got the dsPIC. I think I'm gonna add the 2 missing gyros on small riser boards later on. Most of the work has been done on 6DOF inertial units and it will be easier to use that as a stepping stone.

Here it is in place in the head of the raptor 30:

boardinheli.jpg

And here it fits perfectly inside the standard canopy

canopy.jpg
  • Outstanding! I have Raptor 30 as well and I am working on mine little by little. Board looks great! How much did it set you back for the PCB work?
  • According to other posts on that thread, the 2-axis accelerometer is not sufficient. I'm not convinced, but I am starting to understand the issues - the accelerometers are very sensitive to vibration and other movement (e.g. the servo action), and if the roll or pitch angle is small, the effect of gravity on the planar accelerometers is small, so a fair amount of data smoothing may be required to extract a useful error signal for the control loop. I'm in the middle of trying to make this work, and I am already seeing the vibration issues. Next step is to add the signal processing to see if I can smooth things out. My original assumptions may prove to have been overly optimistic, but I need to prove this to myself one way of the other ...
  • 3D Robotics
    Wow! That's a great-looking board. Now for the fun work of programming--in my experience software takes about ten times as long as hardware, but perhaps you can build on the work of others here and fast-track that.

As for constant velocity, you're right that neither gyros or accelerometers can help you there. We use GPS (coarse data) or pitot tubes/pressure sensors (fine data, best for altitude hold with throttle) for that.
This reply was deleted.

Activity