Hovering Haro (from the Gundam anime)

Before you think that, no, I'm not just some crazy anime nerd who doesn't entirely know what he's doing.That being said:See the attached picture.I recently acquired a Star Wars Sith Droid Attack Game at a garage sale for $3 dollars. It's a game which tracks your lightsaber using infrared and fires foam disks for you to block. I saw the limitless modding possibilities in this, so I bought it, gutted it and schemed.I thought "If only this droid could hover like the real thing, that'd be cool." Then I thought, "I could totally use propellers and make this thing fly like a helicopter!" But the plastic was too heavy to make it fly without some serious power, so I gutted it and took out all the circuitry. I found it had 3 motors, 2 infrared sensors, a speaker, and a power button. Each motor behaved differently when turned on:-Motor 1: Went back and forth, was used to make the droid look side to side on the pole it was based on. Stops moving when infrared signal is detected.-Motor 2: Spun rapidly until Motor 3 stops moving, then dies down. Was used to spin the cylinder that propelled the disks forward. Starts moving when infrared is sensed.-Motor 3: Spins for only a short time as previously mentioned. Was used to "pull the trigger" and push the disk into the spinning cylinder. Starts moving when infrared is sensed.So I decided to make a Haro.I knew there was no way to have a constantly moving propeller for flight and a constantly moving tail rotor for stabilization without another circuit, so I added those into my plan, but didn't draw them. Propellers dependent on this circuit are labeled "4."Explanation:In the drawing I have depicted the guts I retrieved from the droid. The circuit I didn't draw would power both propellers labeled "4." They would be powered/geared in such a way that the Tail 4 would counteract the torque of the Top 4 almost exactly, and the Top 4 would spin fast enough to achieve very close to neutral lift (lift = m x 9.8m/s^2). If this proves to be impossible, I'll implement a radio control for both Tail 4 and Top 4.When seeking for the infrared signal, Motor 1 would power the other tail propeller and control the yaw of the Haro, making it look back and forth. Basically it wold offset the torque of the Top 4 in a positive or negative manner. When the infrared signal is sensed, Motor one will stop moving (returning the torque to neutral) and Motor 2 and 3 will kick in. Motor 2 will give it forward momentum. What I was planning to do with Motor 3 was to actually remove the motor and use the current in the circuit to power two LEDs that would illuminate the eyes, and they'd light up when infrared is sensed.The goal: An autonomous Haro which would follow whoever had the infrared transmitter (came in the lightsaber, easily able to be put in something smaller).I'm not a physicist, nor an electrical engineer, and this may even be physically impossible, or require something else. If it is, please correct me. I realize I may have to add a gyroscope for extra stability.As far as weight goes, the circuity itself is pretty light weight. Obviously it's main source of weight would come from the battery, and the material the Haro shell is made from. Foam is too breakable, so I'll need to find something else lightweight. But as far as a battery goes, I'm planning on adapting a PSP Slim lithium battery. 5v, 6 hours of life, very light, but if I can find a light one with more juice that isn't too pricey, I'll take it.My questions are:-Is this even possible?-What problems have I not foreseen?-Best material to make the perfectly spherical shell?-Lightest battery?Thanks for your help, and yes, I did make the diagram in MS Paint.

haroplan.PNG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.

Activity