PDA for UAV

I have looked around the internet and found a few things on this but nothing really on any UAV applications, so I figured I would post an idea of mine and see what everybody's thoughts were.I was looking through the options on buying all the hardware needed for a STAMP or Propeller controlled UAV and it dawned on me that I have two PDA's that I don't use anymore, both are Sony Clies (NX 70 and the NZ 90). I started looking around and I found the one on here with the Smartphone (Geocrawler 2) and figured it wouldn't be too bad of an Idea, but mine is a Palm OS PDA, so it will be a little different on the programing there.Now I know from looking at the Geocrawler and other forums about PDA robotics that it is easier to interface with GPS and other addons because they are already programed to work with each other, but if I wanted to add many different things on to the PDA, would this end up being worse than if I went with starting from scratch with a microcontroller?Thanks for th comments on this!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i think best choice can be a Nokia N95 8GB (but it is a bit pricy) ... it has a built in 3-axis accelerometer, a sirf III chipset gps and 2 cameras. a hacked N95 can transmit realtime video via gprs (using a software called Tivi Phone just like a webcam) and can carry on navigation programs written in c+... my friend managed to link his N95 to the 3DTracking software and we followed him on my notebook for some time on moving map...

dincer hepguler
  • 3D Robotics
    There's a very interesting thread on that here. I'm with Jack that they're not the best way to go for most application (PDAs don't have real-time operating systems, and you can never predict when they decided to take a little break for garbage collection), but for non-critical functions they can be a reasonable prototyping platform.
  • Before Gumstix & Netburner, PDA's were the way it was done. Nowadays, a PDA would be more of a bling factor.
This reply was deleted.

Activity