100KM

FMA FS-8 malfunction

ok i just about had a fly off yesterday , was finishing 45 min duration test , flipped switch to manual mode and added throttle and banked to turn towards myself , i soon lost all control of all surfaces and throttle. i only have rudder going through the controller for nav and channel 5 for mode switch , so whatever happened effected the receiver . it flew off to the east straight and level . panicking i flipped the mode switch back and forth . after about 30 seconds witch seemed like forever , it started working again and i was able to bring it back and land quickly . after going aver everything and considering how the airplane behaved the only conclusion i can come to is the fs8 geeked out and didn't even go into fail safe mode. here is what makes me think that.#1 "receiver only" controls went out of control#2 it wasn't a power loss to the receiver because the signal was still getting to the speed controller (it cuts out after 2sec if it losses signal)#3 it didn't go into fail safe because it didn't do what i programmed it to#4 after getting it home i found a Strong glitch in channel 4 with motor at full rpm even with AP stuff removed and different servo#5 ch4 glitch goes away when receiver is replaced with a trusty hitech rxand finally#6 i went to the fma website and they no longer make them !!!!!!! cant find them any ware!!!!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 100KM
    update :
    replaced reciever and test flew last weekend , no glitching no problems
  • 3D Robotics
    RE: #1. Er? Could you rephrase?

As for the big question, do you think it might have something to do with battery voltage? Or just a coincidence that it happened at the end of a long flight?

Interesting that FMA isn't listing the FS-8 anymore. (it's still selling the stand-alone Co-Pilot units, without the receiver, which is what we use now). I think that's no big loss, as the receivers were increasingly outmoded since they don't work with PCM transmitters, to say nothing of 2.4 Ghz digital. We'll probably take a page out of the Paparazzi book and integrate all the functionality of the Co Pilot into our autopilots, which means you'd eventually only need their sensors. And if they stop making those, we'll make our own, too.
This reply was deleted.

Activity