T3

FAA - Petition for Rule Making

This post is intended for those members who are thinking of moving from the hobby arena to commercial use (and to any equipment vendors). Please note the user Condor is not PineCreek. PineCreek's contact details are contained in the documents for any questions or commentsPineCreek Precision UAS UpdateJune 2, 2008This is an update on what has transpired since the trip back to Washington, D.C. to assess the climate towards UAS. PineCreek Precision has been successful on a couple of different levels with regards to the FAA and Congress. At the same time we are concerned about the effectiveness of organizations that supposedly have the interests of UAS on their agenda.The first success was a Bi-Partisan (Republicans & Democrats), Bi-Cameral (House & Senate) letter that was sent out to the FAA. Congressman Bill Sali (R- Idaho) took the leading role in gathering the signatures for the letter. The objective is to try and place a person who would represent the interests of agriculture/forestry on the FAA’s UAS committee. At this time we do not know who all of the people on that committee are.The second success was a “Petition for Rule Making” for current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) civil rules (14 CFR Part 91 – Unmanned Aircraft Operations in the National Airspace System) regarding the use of Unmanned Air Systems (UAS) for Natural Resource Management (NRM). PineCreek Precision is proud to have sent the first petition into the FAA on behalf of the UAS industry, which leads to our disappointment.With all of the organizations in the United States saying that they are working hard to promote UAS use and rules, and the businesses that are manufacturing UAS equipment, we were shocked that PineCreek Precision was the first to send in a petition to the FAA. All of the money (Federal, State, and otherwise) that the UAS companies are using to keep their businesses running and the dues paid to organizations to promote the use of UAS are not being used to the benefit of the industry.What good is touting being the largest organization, having people on staff, publishing a magazine, and holding a big convention (AUVSI) when nothing is accomplished except taking money to travel and hold conventions? What good is an organization that states “We have been working with the FAA and have someone on the UAS committee” when there has been no petition filed (RCAPA)?PineCreek Precision has been successful in working with Congress to get the ball rolling for UAS use for natural resources. PineCreek Precision has also been successful in sending the first petition to the FAA challenging their rules (or lack of) concerning civil UAS use.PineCreek Precision is calling on all parties that have an interest in utilizing UAS for natural resource management to help form an organization that can and will get things done in D.C. In order to do this we need your help to achieve the ultimate goal: Civil UAS use.In closing, PineCreek Precision has taken the lead on civil UAS use and is dedicated to work with Congress and the FAA. This is the first step up a long hill and with your support we can see this through. Please contact us for any information or updates. Thank you and take care.

FAA Petition Final.pdf

FAAUAS.pdf

Guidelines.pdf

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• 3D Robotics
    Consider this thread moderated. I don't think we're going to shed much more light on it in the discussions, so I'll close this thread for now. PM me if you'd like to add something else.
  • As far as the efforts go…

I personally have been talking about an exemption for four+ years. Bottom line, the FAA can’t exempt you from a regulation that doesn’t exist. As a relative newcomer I will excuse your barb. However, in the future I hope you will exercise restraint in the interest of keeping the misinformation down to a minimum. We must remain focused if we hope to affect change.

The RCAPA holds a seat on the sUAS ARC. My impression(s) from the first meeting will be posted on the RCAPA reporter site, as soon as it is finished.

Patrick
  • Shortly after the FAA released the 2/13/07 document that brought this issue front and center RCAPA began gathering hundreds of signatures to affix to a letter to the FAA expressing concern and requesting redress.
    I believe this meets the definition of a petition and it was delivered a year ago by RCAPA.

Ira Buckley, RCAPA #440
    Public Information Officer
  • > PineCreek Precision is proud to have sent the first petition into the FAA

No-one's been busted by the FAA yet. It's such a tiny industry that hardly anyone does for a living, the threat of a landlord, disgruntled condo ower, or home ower's association is far more real than anything the FAA is doing.
This reply was deleted.

Activity