DIY Autopilot/IMU

I have decided that I am going to build my own Autopilot/IMU for my UAV. I know there are plenty of units that I can buy off the shelf but that would take the fun out of it for me. I want to build my own and really understand how everything works. I am an experienced programmer and have basic electronic skills including PIC microcontrollers. My friend is an experienced RC pilot and he has offered to help with the flying aspect of the project.I have included a basic block diagram of my initial design, any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Unfortunately I forget to include the altitude/air speed sensor on my diagram. I would like to make sure I have a sound basic design before I get started and that I am not going about this the wrong way. Thanks!

uav.png

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello hypergolic ,

Can you provide the code that you used?

• Any comments on using a Gumstix as the main processor versus a propeller or something similar? I would think the gumstix would give me more flexibility but may take more work.
  • I have updated my diagram.

autopilot.png

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3691901605?profile=original
  • 3D Robotics
    Ah. Looks good. I'm not sure about 802.11's range for this application, but otherwise I think you've got the block diagram right.
  • 3D Robotics
    What's "uC"?
This reply was deleted.

Activity