silly question

ok, so i got one of the memsic dual-axis accelerometers. the picture that comes with it shows the chip with the x and y axes, as well as tilt about those axes. there is a pin for Xout and Yout. what exactly are the values that it is outputting? does it have to do with the rotation of the sensor or the translation of it? on the parallax website, there is a demo that you can download that displays the rotation of the sensor on a tv screen, but i'm not sure if this is calculated or if the sensor outputs info about it's rotation.thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• so is this how it works? i've attached an image because it's easier than trying to explain what i'm thinking.

my_understanding.jpg

• 3D Robotics
    A link to the datasheet or demo would be helpful. But It sounds like it outputs PWM. An accelerometer outputs the g force in each direction. In the case of a sensor that is not in motion, if one axis is perpedincular to the ground, that will typically be a PWM value somewhere between max and min (you decide how to interpret it). If it's parallel to the ground, it will be 0.
  • Is it a 5v part? If so I imagine it's putting out a voltage between 0 and 5 volts depending on the acceleration(tilt). So you need to read this voltage with an AD converter and then decide what you want to do.
This reply was deleted.

Activity