Budget Camera Stabilization

Ok, so my UAV project is well on its way and ideally i'd like to use it as a camera platform using my Nokia N95 which takes fantastic quality video and pictures.However, one thing really annoys me about pics from models, they always look like they were taken from a model and are never smooth unless you use the expensive gyro stabilized systems.So is anyone aware of any mechanical stabilizer designs that could be used to mount a small cam and eliminate most of the shaking.I was thinking of a system on rollers inside an dish so that the camera was always level and gravity was always trying to counter any movement. The dish would also cause minimize over corrections.Has anyone come across any designs or low cost non-electronic systems suitable for UAV cameras?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Try suspending It using rubber bands.
  • 3D Robotics
    I just built a servo-driven camera holder that was connected the FMA co-pilot. It always keeps the camera pointed down. Post here.

Any kind of gravity-driven system like the dish and rollers you descibe won't work because of intertial forces--centrifugal forces in a turn are indistinguishable from gravity.
  • They are not smooth probably because it is such a light airframe. you could try to put some gyros on your plane (pg-03's or similar are not very expensive). Since you already have the servos to control you plane, the outlay would be quite minimal, but you might still see a shaky image.
    The other option would be to build that gyro stabilised platform yourself, that should not be that hard with a gimbal and two servos inside. Mount the gyro's (integrating or normal) on the inside of the platform (the still part).
    But I have never created such a thing myself, so you will be in new territory there. Your safest bet probably would be option 1 and trying to eliminate all sources of vibration. If you can, turn of the motor while filming.
  • Use a helicopter instead of a fixed wing. Use software stabilization.

Find more videos like this on DIY Drones
    http://static.ning.com/diydrones/widgets/video/flvplayer/flvplayer.swf?v=3.5.1%3A6910
This reply was deleted.

Activity