Math Co Processors for GPS

Hi AllI am very new to this but are working on a guidance system for a boat.While searching the net I found the MicroMega uM-FPU V3.1 math co processor. http://www.micromegacorp.com/other.htmlAt $20 USD it seems reasonably priced and well suited to GPS Math, as a bouns it even parses NMEA strings.Overkill you say.... maybe.I have started playing with the Haversine formula and the spherical law of cosines and find the calculations in them very numerically 'hungry'.For instance when you are doing calculations on a handheld scientific calculator and when you press = the screen blanks for perhaps a second before giving an answer you know the claculations are processor hungry.Has anybody played with mact co processor for their autopilot systems? If so How helpful have they found them?ThanksBruce

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• U can work around the math by doing tricks like reading GPS in binary form. That gets you directly into fixed point base 2. Then you can determine angles and distances between points by doing iterative subtraction and lookup tables in fixed point. Personally stopped bothering with it and moved to 2 way radio for the FLOPS. If someone is trying to make a living on microcontroller coprocessors, by all means support their business.
  • 3D Robotics
    I haven't looked at that math co-processor since we gave up on the Basic Stamp. What processor are you using? GPS shouldn't bring anything modern to its knees.
This reply was deleted.

Activity