Auto pilot for outdoor blinp

Hello!can you recomend auto-pilot for electro outdoor blimp?can it work only with GPS, or i need additional sensors?blimp will fly "circles" at 10-20-30 meters high and it can returns to start point icase of failure.and i need to control blimp from it's remote control.Thank you very much! :-)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hello!

can you recommend sensor, allowing you to maintain the height of 2-10 meters (+- 0.5 m) FROM GROUND.

i mean blimp willl fly over not flat relief and hold accurate distanse form ground?

for outdoor using with autopilot
  • This could be tricky but totally doable. Since it is going to be indoor, I would get away from GPS. If this is going to be a fixed location then it gets easier.

you will need ultrasonic beacons. At least 4. You can then completely triangulate you position in a 3D space. Your accuracy will be very high. I don't know of any autopilots that do this so home spun city for you. This would be a very valuable autopilot though. (Basketball games!)

If you use a transmitter to poll each beacon to "fire" and you receive this RF poll on the blimp, you will know within a very, very short time how far you are away from that beacon. Do this 2 more times with the other two beacons, you have your position on a plane with an offset that will be altitude off of the plane between the three beacons.. then the fourth beacon is set up centered in the operation area up high or down low so you can judge altitude up or down of the offset logged by your first three beacon polls.

The math for this is here...
    http://www.restena.lu/convict/Jeunes/beacon/Positioning.htm

you could definately expect sub-foot accuracy here...
  • 3D Robotics
    Also note that an outdoor blimp has to be VERY powerful to fight winds. That means big (at least ten feet long). Do you have a blimp platform in mind?
  • You need GPS, compass and altimeter. You should also have a ground proximity sensor such as ultrasonic.
This reply was deleted.

Activity