Help a noobie

Hello allI need a hobby and as a young guy intersted in combat & geeky stuff fresh out of school robotics and electronics just ticks all my boxes.I'm very interested in making robots and UAV's (for a weapons system concept i had) so i was wondering if any kind people here could point me in the right direction: good books, helpful websites, personal experience and the best place to start.Thanks for any help.Sam

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OK dude. i think you have been beat up enough. i know where you are coming from. I too was the combat lusting geeky guy growing up. So much so that I joined the Army as soon as I could. I also loved computers and programming. I was also an aviation buff as well. The computers and the aviation naturally pointed my towards UAVs as they started to emerged.

My UAV project was directed toward surveilance. However, I will not lie to you. When Picatinny arsenal approached us to create a weapons delivery platform for explosive formed penetrators and short range cruise (missle) planes. i was totally excited. I knew i could do it. So don't let the peace freaks keep you from developing something that can aid our soldiers in a battlespace. Just be smart and responsible for you actions and don't do illegal things. if you are going to drop something from your aircraft, don't use live ordinance...Period...until the military approaches you and brings you out to a live fire range.

The prospect of what you want to do creates large problems for the UAV. You have to remember. UAV autopilots are trained systems. They only know how to fly the aircraft you put it in. UCAVs have the unique problem of changing weight and surface area rapidly and greatly. When you drop your ordinance, the aircraft not only changes weight but shape too. So when you get into this remember that you better be designing your very own autopilot that can handle these types of situations. Be ready to create unique programs that change the control loops as the ordinace is delivered.

I recomend before you get into the UCAV side of things (I think I speak for everybody here) you learn how to fly a RC plane. Then look into an autopilot you can experiment with. Learn how the autopilot flies the plane and why. Become proficient at this. The people on this forum may have been a little hard on you. You did sound very young and inexperienced in your posting here. but I am not going to tell you you shouldn't follow your dreams either. Every one of us started out dumb and inexperienced in UAV development and there are alot of people on this forum who have yet to fly a UAV successful. this forum is here for you and everybody else to learn and progress toward the possibility of deploying your very own UAV. Some of us will do this and then end up selling their idea. One of the autopilots that is being developed on this site will be used for more than hobby (I won't say which one) this autopilot will be used for military and civilian application and may even carry weapons some day. this is probably one of the most advance autopilots that is available off the shelf in the world today! This is where his idea was kept alive.

Do your thing.
  • LOL good job...you must be an 18 year old, so eager to screw up your life. you do realize that this site is most likely monitored by homeland security right, who will send your IP to MI5? enjoy phone tapping for the next 6 months since they have your IP and being on a list for the rest of your life. Us Americans complain about our rights with the Patriot Act, but in the UK, you'll be surprised how hard and brutal they will be on you with talk like that.

But since i'm a helpful guy, i refer you to chris's post
    http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A47187

Join the RAF. There's a good place to start. you'll learn everything you need.

Stick to NON-UCAVs. seriously. The fact that you'll be so open about your intentions means you're going to get yourself arrested, killed, or both.
  • 3D Robotics
    We don't do weapons systems here.
This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…