Hi, I just purchased a pixhawk, but decided I'd go ahead and try out my APM2.6 first since it's been collecting dust. I'm using the 3dr Hexa frame.
I've flow rc planes and variable pitch helicopters, but have no experience with multi-rotor copters or autopilots.
I just have a few questions before my first flight, which will hopefully be this weekend. The goal is to have this working by a work gathering on the 30th.
1. Is it a bad idea to put the receiver on an arm under a prop? Just wondering if the airflow moving the receiver's antennas will be a problem. My thinking is that it would keep the receiver away from other components.
2. Is it okay to use a combination of different ESCs? I have 4 ESCs that are 20amp(3dr) and 2 ESCs that are 30amp(other brand). Both are using simon firmware and actually the boards look about identical. My current limited knowledge tells me that using a 30amp would be fine since it's higher than the 20amps designed for the motors. Note: The generic 30 amp ESCs fire up at a higher throttle level(slightly) than the 3dr 20 amp ESCs. I've recalibrate using the all at once and one at a time methods with the same result.
3. I'm using a 3dr power supply power module with the old APM2.6 stuff. It currently only shows voltage but not current. Is that a problem? I've tried several settings modifications but can't get it to show current.
4. I don't have a sonar module, but am curious what all it does. I'm assuming it assists in landing and lower altitude position hold etc. Will auto landing work fine without it? Does it use barometric pressure to land without it?
5. When I push right on yaw or roll, the graph on the radio calibration tab moves left. I'm assuming I need to reverse those channels in my Spektrum DX6, but I wanted to confirm that is the right place to do it.
Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm really excited about getting this thing in the air!