AC3.2.1 Remote Barometer/Baro shielding

Hello all,

I've recently integrated a Bergen Observer EB with a Pixhawk. When the rotor spools up, we see extreme variations in the barometric altitude that are consistent changes in collective pitch. (ie negative pitch creates a low pressure and the altitude "climbs" while positive collective does the opposite)

We have Acro and Stabilize tuned up and working well, but this issue is prohibiting the use of Loiter or Auto modes. 

Is there a way to provide the Pixhawk a remote barometric pressure source? (such as through a pitot/static sensor) A rigid tube off the back of the tail boom would get the ports clear.

Conversely, is there an accepted method for shielding the Pixhawk from the rotorwash? The avionics stack is mounted immediately aft of the frame and slung under the tail boom. 

Thanks,

Will

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @Will, I'm not an expert on how to stabilize a barometer but I suspect that with a powerful bird like the Observer EB rotor wash will always be a challenge. I'm not specifically punting our own products here but have you considered using a true AGL sensor like a laser altimeter? There are several types available that are compatible with Pixhawk - you can see a few of them here.

• Thanks for the response and link.

We'd thought about a true AGL sensor but for simplicity's sake we'd like to stick with barometric altitude. However, given that all the potential missions for this craft place it within 100m of the ground, it's something we'll look at.

This reply was deleted.

Activity