Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's going to be a problem since I don't have a DVR to record the video down link.

I do have a couple of ideas, if you like :)

1. Copter version - vertical speed should be shown as m/s. When you fly in stabilize mode and are trying to hold it in the same height yourself, vertical speed as m/min is not very practical. It has to climb/descend too much to see the difference on the osd. It was so much better before as m/s.

2. OSD font - this really needs to be redesigned in a way of character size/thickness. I think the letters are too bulky on the video. I use NTSC which makes it even worse as they are stretched a bit.

I will try the new version and report back if I see any problems. :)

Best regards,

Ivan

• Hi Ivan,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

1. Actually it's the opposite: When you have, say 1 m/s vertical speed, that means that you have 60m/m vertical speed (you don't have to wait one minute to update the readings while in m/m). So actually m/m lead to bigger values on osd.

(side note: if you have say 25m/m vs, in m/s it will show 25 / 60 m/s = 0.40 m/s  => 0m/s on osd)

2. The only issue with font size is that if we shrink the size it will make letters seem very apart because the char spacing cannot be changed :(

I guess we could make a thinner font as you suggest, that sure would help to have a less bulky osd.

Miguel

• Hi,

Oh well, I manage with the current form but it's harder ti visualize (convert) in my mind. :)

It would be great if the grid size could be manipulated but I guess this is the hardware thing...

Is the CT from ...r789.zip good for 794 version?

• Hi,

I also had to "adapt my mind" to m/m but in the end it helped me to make smoother landings and faster awareness of climb/descent rates

Yes, unfortunately the grid size is hardware limitation :(

The latest CT Tool r788 (which is inside the r789 you refer) is the right one to use ;)

Miguel

• Hi,

Ok, thank you for all the answers! Sorry for asking so many questions ;)

Best regards,

Ivan

• Where can I watch what is being changed in minimosd extra? (like before, here: https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/source/list)

• I initially had some problems getting the MinimumOSD Extra working with a Pixhawk using RC2 firmware.

Previously I listed all the SR2 parameters that I was using, but with these settings, my OSD wasn't displaying any temperature data. I had to set SR2_RAW_SENS to 2 to get the temperature to work.

It would be nice if the person working on maintaining the MinimumOSD firmware would communicate with the PixHawk firmware team and ask them to set some appropriate default values for these to save people from having to manually set these themselves.

So here are my current SR2 parameters which seem to work with PixHawk using 3.2 RC2 firmware (these may need some fine tuning):

SR2_EXT_STAT 2
    SR2_EXTRA1 5
    SR2_EXTRA2 2
    SR2_EXTRA3 2
    SR2_PARAMS 0
    SR2_POSITION 0
    SR2_RAW_CTRL 0
    SR2_RAW_SENS 2
    SR2_RC_CHAN

• Hi,

SR parameter for minimosd:

https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/wiki/APM

And listing:

RAW_SENS:

- RAW_IMU
      - SCALED_IMU2
      - SCALED_PRESSURE
      - SENSOR_OFFSETS
      EXT_STAT:
      - SYS_STATUS
      - MEMINFO
      - MISSION_CURRENT
      - GPS_RAW_INT
      - NAV_CONTROLLER_OUTPUT
      - LIMITS_STATUS
      RC_CHAN:
      - SERVO_OUTPUT_RAW
      - RC_CHANNELS_RAW
      RAW_CTRL:
      - RC_CHANNELS_SCALED (HIL)
      POSITION:
      - GLOBAL_POSITION_INT
      EXTRA1:
      - ATTITUDE
      - SIMSTATE (SITL)
      EXTRA2:
      - VFR_HUD
      EXTRA3:
      - AHRS
      - HWSTATUS
      - SYSTEM_TIME
      PARAMS:
      - PARAM_VALUE

• Having a brain fart. I have my minimosd (pads soldered) connected to the APM and the video side connected to the main flight battery (4S) via a Sepic drop down to 12v. It seems to work fine with the recommended 2 battery setup but do I really need to run the grounds (from the sepic) through the Minimosd? Will it damage anything leaving it like this?

Thanks

Todd

3701782483?profile=original

• This reply was deleted.
      • Thanks for the quick response. I'll take a look at it. My thoughts exactly on the "common ground". Maybe just thinking too much lol.

This reply was deleted.

Activity