Dear All,

I was using Cannon S100 previously for mapping purpose with CHDK, 1/2000 shutter speed, IS turned off and focus set to Infinity but still get around 50% blurry image.

Now I will use Sony Nex 5n camera on Flatmap1 gimbal with 16mm stock fixed lens and IR triggered from APM for more ground coverage and quality image (hope so..)

Please share your Nex 5n camera setting (Auto or manual or shutter priority?) and any experiences, pros & cons using Nex 5n for mapping purpose.

Let me start from what I was reading from some forum (forgot the link):

Sony Nex 5 series  Camera Setting for Mapping:

Recommendations:

Pros:

• More pixel compare with S100 = More ground coverage
  • Fixed lens 16mm = less blurry image result
  • ??

Cons:

• Heavier compare with S100
  • No GPS onboard
  • Nex 5n Time between shutter > 2 sec = S100 faster < 2 sec (if you need to fly really fast)
  • ??

I will update first page regularly that may be useful for others.

Many thanks in advance for your contribution.

Waladi

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When you use aperture mode you have more control over exposure and picture quality.

"Nearly all lenses have lower contrast and are less sharp at their widest aperture, especially towards the corners of your image. This is especially true on 35mm and digital camera lenses. On sharpness, this is a totally separate issue from depth of field; this will happen even with a flat subject. Consequently, if you're going to have detail in the corners of your pictures that you want to keep sharp, then you'll want to use a smaller aperture. For flat subjects, f/8 is typically the sharpest aperture."

It is from http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Camera%27s-Aperture-Priority-Mode  (Point No3)

It seems that Nex5 with 16mm lens has the best performance with F8 (check this site http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/542-sony16f28ne...).

They say about:

1.Vignetting

2.MTF (Resolution)

3.Chromatic abberations (CAs)

• 300km

Good point about F8 being the sharpest. I remember reading other users that found that out themselves. Still I think getting the shutter speed wrong is more serious. (Point 6 on the wikihow page you linked suggests using the biggest aperture you can for hand held shooting.)

• Hi Moglos,

Interested with your setup, so you are using below setting if I'm not mistaken interpreting your post:

• Mode: Shutter Priority
        • ISO: ?? Around 200 - 400 perhaps?

Please elaborate more..

• 300km

I use shutter priority mode. As a rule I use 800 for multi rotor (fast because there is heaps of vibration), 800 for fixed wing below say 60m (fast because they move quite fast), 600 for fixed wing above 60m (can get away with slower shutter because the ground movement looks slower from the point of view of the camera)

ISO - according to test results. I take a straight down photo of the ground (or something that represents what I'm photographing) and see what the aperture was for that photo. Then I'd adjust the ISO to give me a mid range aperture (say 6-8). That leaves enough room for it to move if the light conditions change. I'm happy to set the ISO up to 1600. You still don't get much noise.

• My photos came out too dark when the camera chose the aperture. I also found AP works the best on the Sony Nex.
    • Thanks Krajst, will include it into original post.

Do you have any blurry image on above setting?

• No, I do not have any blurry images, but... I fly with quad at ~4 m/s at height from 35m up to 90m.

Regarding shutter speed, I can shoot at 1 sec interval (jpg). I bought high speed SC card for that - SANDISK EXTREME PRO SDHC SD 16GB, 95MB/s.

• Noted Krajst. 

Just curious, have you ever tested with speed above 15m/s ?

I tested once using S100 and 150m, the blurry image increase dramatically.

• I have not tested with that speed and with parameters mentioned above, though I put Nex5 into Skyhunter fixedwing but the camera was set in auto mode. The speed was 15m/s and some of the pictures were sharp some of them blurry.

• I found that different IR triggers have different speeds. The HobbyKing one is actually the fastest I tried.
This reply was deleted.

Activity