airplane designing

hey guys,

i was wondering how you design a plane that is balanced and all that neccesary stuff. if anyone could show me how, that would be great.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok what work on a paper plain won’t work on one large enough to carry the pay load you need. See the fluid dynamic is different on a smaller plane then a bigger one so it dos not mean it will work, if you are planning on a scratches built your up to a humongous load of work before it even flay, I highly recommend you to bay something that is proven relayable And way cheaper to build , first find out how many grams your pay load will be and then go to hobby shop and bay something that will carry it easily and you should be set, however if you realy in to building something from scratches bay a good book and study well cause ( wing cord, the type of profil,the geometry, the wing load, the empennage dimension and it’ position ) should not be taken lightly because the will affect the comportment of the plain and if it fly’s or not, so think about it , and if your still gone a go that way I can help you with all of that , this is waht I m good at and can help you do all the mats, but I still think your bather off baying a already proven plane

• Put down the xbox controller and read up on the subject. Lots on the internet. Put some skin in the game.

• ok i think ill test it out with two paper airplanes, then, if it works, ill try the full size way.
  • i just got a weird idea! what if you bought two easy stars, chopped off the pointed wingtips, glued the two planes together at the wings, put them on the same frequency, and fly it. would this plan work?
  • I'm no expert, but the info on Airfield Models looks quite interesting and useful.
    Airfield Models - Designing Radio Control Model Aircraft
    To design a superior model-aircraft requires a solid, logical philosophy. A great model isn't designed - it's redesigned.
  • wow jaron, you built that UAV!? thats pretty nice. i think to design my first plane im going to simply modify someone else's design to fit what i want (may i copy yours?). also, i have one question about the cad software. it asks for my address and zip code and junk. why does it need all that? can i get the software without giving them that information?
  • Beside DIY Drones join RC related forums and ask specific questions (RCGroups).

Find the basic parameters that are defined by your mission like weight, flight endurance, area of operations etc.

Copy and customize. Get a feeling for what's possible and have a look at what others have done (e.g. UAV Flying Wing)

Read readable books about the subject like those from Martin Simons.

Use free tools for the (iterating) design process.
    Calculate your power system: Drive Calculator
    Draw the plan: Proge CAD 2008 Smart
    Maybe visualize your drawing in 3D: GoogleSketchUp
    Calculate the center of gravity: WinLaengs4
    RCGroups: Remote Control, Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars and Boats
    RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums,…
This reply was deleted.

Activity