I won't copy-paste too much of the info, but this looks really interesting.  They have purpose built a machine intended for AP or UAV use. Note the huge area in the frame for battery packs, or the boom mount battery area, which includes a GPS puck mounting stand.  

http://www.rcheliresource.com/more-pics-and-info-for-the-large-align-trex-800e-heli/

I'm actually not a fan of the frame design, as I'd prefer to see seperate power and payload sections with vibration damping.  Also I don't like the servo layout, if they were going to use bellcranks and pushrods, why not put the servos *behind* the main shaft to balance it better when a camera is on the front?  I know that is what the boom mounted batteries are for.  But I think a design goal should be to leave as much space in front of the boom as you can, even going as far as to put the motor beside or behind the shaft, so that your payload (ie: camera) can be mounted as close as you can to the shaft.  This helps balance the CG without needing as much weight on the tail boom.

But in any case, it's interesting that they are thinking of us.

It's also interesting that the head design appears to have geometry intended to make for more gentle control movements rather than 3D.  But they are using that DFC system on the head which I am not a fan of at all.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah Randy, I think that's where this thing falls well short.  My guess is that they have basically built an 800 size machine, with components from a 700.  So right off the bat, it's it's not made for 3D because the components won't be strong enough.  It's like a factory "stretch" which lots of guys do.  600 into a 700.  700 into an 800.  I've seen somebody actually build a 1000 from 700 parts.

But other than that, and the GPS/Battery mount, I don't see any radical differences.  I think they really missed the boat by not thinking outside the box.  On this size, they really should have separate power frame and avionics/everythingelse frame.

I'm still tinkering with my plan to build a 700 from 550 components, but with a very custom frame.  Taking inspiration from the Maxi Joker and Gaui X7.  But using Align/Aftermarket/Clone components since they are cheap and easily available.  The main goal is to get all the mechanics into a compact power frame, so to that end, flipping the motor to the top, which requires moving the two front swash servos.  I'll put them outboard of the frame just like Joker does.  There won't be anything in front of the motor, so the camera mount can be moved back quite a bit.

Then there will be a seperate lower frame, wider than the power frame, giving a nice place to mount the APM and batteries.

• Developer

Robert,

Very nice to hear that they're thinking of UAVs.  I didn't see in the article linked any mention of how it's specially made for UAV useage..is there another article?  I just wanted to see if they're is much else that makes it UAV friendly besides the GPS mount and the built-for-less-aggressive-flight thing...although..when it comes to a heli..is there really anything different that we need from a normal RC heli?  I guess a nice place to mount the autopilot away from the motors...but on an 800 I'd guess there are plenty of places...

This reply was deleted.

Activity