Align T-Rex 450 Flybarless with APM 2.5

Hello everyone,,

after 2 years of flying my T-Rex 450 decided to disconnect all blades while in flight - looked cool but the result wasn't. Typical spare parts list ... Main rotor/shaft/swash everything ... damn.

Since I allready planed to upgrade from flybar to a flybar-less version I think its time the the APM enters my home. Here is my 1 step in getting my Rex APM FBL ready

T-Rex 450 Conversion

• FBL Main Head
  • APM with ArduCopter Firmware
  • GPS Module
  • Radio Telemetry for or EU/Germany (guess its the 433MHz Version)

With this I should be able to do:

• Fly the helicopter  (in FBL Version)
  • Send telemetry data without cable connection to the mission center
  • GPS data recording
  • fly waypoints
  • Joystick controll (that would be cool to try out)

Furhter extensions

• FPV
  • Cameragimbal 

My questions:

1. Does my "Partlist" mathc my first expectations?
  2. Is there a combined telemetry set that can send video and data?
  3. Could I control a future camera gimbal with a mouse as camera operator?

Any info's, tips and approval are greatly appreciated ;)

Cheers
Axel

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Robert,

thanks for your answer. I thought of installing the APM below the heli with an extended skid form a T-Rex 600. That should give me more ground clearance and also an more stable stance. The GPS should be mounted on the tailboom.

The mouse pointing just came to my mind as I "locked" my view on an object in a FPV shooter;) It is quite easy to aim with a mouse, so maybe that would be nice for a camera operator to keep his view locked on wahtever he/she is filming

• Hi Axel:

1) Yes, that looks about right for the parts list.  You need to make sure you have all the right cabling for the APM and GPS, which for a helicopter is slightly different than a quadcopter.  You'll need to figure out where to mount everything, which is tricky on the 450. That will determine your cable length requirement.

2) No.

3) Hmmm... maybe.  The APM can control a gimbal, but I'm not sure about mouse pointing, I've never done it myself. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity