Altitude of Loiter mode

How high do I have to be off the ground to engage in Loiter mode?  I have an APM 2 purple board with gps and a magnetometer and barometer, but no sonar.  Do I have to be at least a certain mimimum height before engaging Loiter mode?  Or can I be hovering at say 2 or 3 feet off the ground?  I want to test the loiter mode, but since this is my first time taking my hexa out for a spin, I'm a little nervous about flying it more than just a few feet off the ground, just in case there's a glitch in the hardware or a mechanical error, not to mention the newbie pilot.  I greatly appreciate any advice, thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi James, I have been hovering around for a few months now and is still scared to switch to altitude hold and loiter mode. All my stabilise mode settings is now correct as I can hover very stable and in control. The first step was to switch to altitude hold an I find that it climes to much and when it finally descends it happened to fast and may have crashed, so I tuned it back to stabilised mode to prevent crash. After apm adjustments I got it to alt hold within 1 to 2 meters. I am now busy with loiter settings, as it overshoots franticly and I switch back to take control again.

So it is not easy to "trim" these things. I am curious to find out if someone will reply with advice that may help us.

This reply was deleted.

Activity