APM 2.5 Using Mission planner + sonar sensors

Hey all!

I am currently a college student and want to create a quadcopter using this sights plans.  I realize this is an open source forum, and have designed a different body and arms, and will gladly post them when this is done.  I also want to have collision aviodance put into my process.  My idea was that I could write a piece of code, added to the code already written, to read sonar sensors.  The sonar sensors will read if there is there is anything above, to the front, right, left, or behind the arducopter.  The sonar sensors would cause a pause in the gps program, and cause it to avoid the obstacle it is facing.  I cannot find a way to edit the code, and also use the mission planner 1.2.36.  Here is the download for the mission planner.  If you guys could help me incorporate the sonar sensors that would be great.  Also, if you need any more information, I would be glad to give it to you.

Thanks,

Steve

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• is this conversion still alive .I'm in the same problem now as you were

• Hi, I am currently in the situation you were in one year ago. For my master thesis I'm trying to incorporate multiple sonars in a quadcopter to provide a basic obstacle avoidance function.

In the end did you manage to upload correctly the firmware on the APM? If so, could you give me a link or something to make my research a little easier? 

Thanks,

Enrico

• Hi Enrico,

did you get it?

I also working on the same project.

it could be great if you could tell me how you hanled it.

• Developer

ArduCopter can already read from a single sonar but you'll have to make code changes to the code to allow it to read from multiple sonar.  Code has already been added to master to allow the sonar distance to be seen in the mission planner although that code hasn't been rolled out in an official release yet.

I'm afraid I won't be able to implement the object avoidance for you but there are numerous other people on the forums here and there who are interested in having this feature.  Maybe someone can work with you to incorporate that.  I'm happy to give advice but whomever does it will need to spend some time first to understand the arducopter code.

This reply was deleted.

Activity