APM 2.6 servo lock up. The plane crashed badly. :

http://gsbchkteam.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/first-crash/

The plane was fine in our first flight. But then, in our second flight, our test pilot sudden lost control of the plane and it dropped from the sky.

It is in manual mode.

APM accelerometer data is jumpy now. Here goes $200 USD,

camera, video TX, GPS.... $300 USD...

We were planning to use the plane for our balloon challenge, if it is truly 'coz by APM, please put comment below. Thx. I don't want another crash. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It can't be a servo failure if you lost both roll and pitch control. I would look at how your servos were powered.

I have had very good success with the emax metal geared servos. That said, for the elevator I always use a Hitec HS-65MG in my Skywalkers because the elevator is so critical and there are no other control surfaces to back it up.
    • Do you mean the mechanical failure of the servo? Slip gearbox? Or the servo is not strong enough? I saw people compliant about APM lock up the servo, that's why I ask. Maybe the log only tells about the data inside the APM but not the true output to the servo.

The test pilot attempted to stop the dive. It is very close to the ground. 

Thx

• If yes, which servo? Thx

The log shows the APM did not lock up the servo's as there is still movement of the servo's up to the last second before the crash.

The plane was in a severe dive before the elevator was used to try stop the dive but the dive angle increased.

In fact pulling elevator had no effect on the dive whatsoever! This is very strange.

The plane was at +42° roll when elevator was applied and then went very quickly to -173° at the point of the crash. Almost like the elevator caused the roll but not up pitch.

It's a bit of a mystery.

Mmmmn, looking at the graphs again, your CH2/elevator had no effect on the pitch angle of the plane at all during the flight, was the elevator working before you took off?

Green line has no effect on red line!

3702751637?profile=original

Your better at log files than me Graham, you should be able to see the pre flight control checks should you not? We all that don't we??

Also why all the FPV gear on board for a second flight?

• I didn't do anything with the log file.

I can't see the first flight log file. Is the number of log file limited to 5? Thx

• ch1: aileron

ch2: elevator

ch3: throttle

ch4: rudder

• This was the plane.

http://gsbchkteam.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/first-flight-pictures/

Will it be... the elevator servo has problem? It is a cheap servo using nylon gearbox.

• Or problem with the Aileron servo? I did use hand to rotate the servo before. Maybe one of the Aileron servo gear was stripped?

Having had a second look at the log I would say the elevator was not working at take off or something failed very soon after takeoff,

Has that first log posted been shortened at all? It doesn't seem to show the takeoff? Or as Gary said the preflight checks aren't there either.

Anyway sorry for your crash.

This reply was deleted.

Activity