APM Octocopter Thread

hey again all! I thought it would be cool to have a dedicated thread for guys who build bigger hex and octocopters with apm where we can share tips and advice regarding tech specs, builds, code, firmware and whatever else comes up.

Firstly, how many of you are building bigger AP rigs with APM? We've been building all our commercial SteadiDrone RTF kits with APM with great results.

so, who else is out there, lets get chatting.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This work great !!!   Tri hardly makes a sound !!

Eddie Weeks

www.jetlens.com

3692457018?profile=original

Aerial Imagery
    Aerial Photography Louisiana

Really liking the design.. Very well thought out.

• Hi Duran im also in South Africa ,Pretoria see you use the T Motors i used to have them but my quad fly away im using the avroto motors that is almost a replica off the T motors.

Do you have a y6 would like to know what settings you fly.

I also have the Hitec Aurora9 radio will you mind post pics as off how you mount the antenas off the optima9?
  • Good idea - streamlining the entire arm would be wasteful but cool looking.

Those of us using square tubing arms are creating an entirely different set of vortices.

"Under arm" motor mounts now have factual support for their use. We put the shafts pointed up simply for convenience it seems.

• Hey again guys, after doing some research into the aerodynamics of tubes and how to best get rid of vortex shedding etc, I've come up with the following simple very light weight mount that just clues to the tubes, we will give it a test but should remove most of the shedding directly under the props. Let me know your thoughts, here are pics along with our nex SteadiDrone h6x RTF kit (without camera gimbal)

3692455061?profile=original3692454984?profile=original3692455152?profile=original3692455083?profile=original3692455106?profile=original3692455173?profile=original

• Duran, are you going to provide some details about your multicopter systems?  There's really not much info on your website.  I'm potentially going to get some money to invest in an Octo soon, so I might be in the market.  I'm sort of getting tired of monkeying around with Trad Helis without any success.  I've been wanting to try starting an AP business, but it's been 9 months now with not much to show for it.  I'm starting to think TradHelis are just too complicated.

Anyway, just looking for more details on your system.

• I'm actually just getting into the quad building world, but probably a little bit rushed with time. I need (probably) an octacopter. I have a friend who came to me (because im about the most computer literate person he knows) and wants me to build a copter for him soon to use for videography for his fishing addiction. He wants super stable and smooth shots and also needs it reliable because I will be flying it over salt water bays to film him. Any expertise greatly appreciated (or pointers to threads that could help) I've found the RTF Arduino shield/board for about $299 online. I think i want to go with this since its pre programmed (I can learn the programming later but I'm already a little experienced with c++ so I'm not too worried about having to modify code). I want to build my own aluminum square tubing frame but as far as props/esc's/motors I'm not too sure how to go about choosing these.

• Cool, I am one!

Current Setup:

4.1kg (with dummy weight) hexa, Avroto 2814 770kv, 12x3.8SF, DYS flashed ESCs, 4s, APM2.  Frame is Rusty's frame (G10, alum booms), which is pretty great.

I am using my APM2 that I have had since they first came out.  V2.6 is amazing, but i am still tuning it up. Unfortunately, my GPS functionality is not working currently (another story), but stabilize is looking great.

My goal is to have stabilized video from the T2i, GH2 sized cameras.  I am looking at a few different gimbal choices out there.  And i will probably add a gimbal controller at some point as well.  I definitely at the 'hobby' level ,but want pro-grade performance :)

This reply was deleted.

Activity