Developer

Arducopter 2.1 release

Ardupilot 2.1 is out and can be downloaded by the mission planner (or with Git). You must have the latest version of MP to be compatible. If you're compiling with Arduino, you must use the "mrelax" version of Arduino that is in our downloads section. This is because Arduino was never tested with code larger than 128K. And since our code is probably the most complex Arduino project ever, we found the issue. This altered version of Arduino allows you to specify a special compiler flag that makes it work again. Otherwise it's functionally identical to version 22. When we transition to 1.0 of Arduino, you won't need to use a modified version, since they have patched it for us.

This version has a few new features, but is mostly a bug fixes and compatibility with APM2.  The nav routines have been updated and well tested. I'm getting very reliable results now. 

One new feature that I snuck in was SuperSimple mode, which re-calibrates simple mode when you are flying with GPS > 20m from home. It allows you to fly in any direction in Simple outside of this radius. Check the wiki for more info.

Added Auto_land mode to help with Failsafe implementations.

Here's a video I took flying WPs using CH 7 to toggle record them. I flew back and forth over the park to se how straight a line I could maintain and how repeatable it was, then I recorded a few waypoints to the left and right, then I recorded a landing wp by toggling CH7 when the copter was on the ground. The landing could be improved, it was trying to maintain a location and didn't level out in the last meter to the ground as it should. I was missing the screw holding my Arm in place so it folded in just a bit, no real damage done. BTW, this video is W/O a sonar.

The next video is of the Loiter control. I improved loiter a bit with a bug fix and the stability patch from the stabilization. Wind was mild. Could be tuned just a little higher.

Here's a video from Dec 17 showing WP recording. The radio was on the ground the entire video. The 3DR frame did not have a sonar on it. The landing was recorded as well.

Upcoming: 

Tridge wrote a Geo - fence routine to restrict flight within a certain area for Arduplane. We'll port that over to AC. You'll be able to fly acro inside a safe area and have it go into AP if you loose control!

We need one more pass to finalize the Optical flow integration.

Finalization of the Z Accel code.

Have fun and fly safe,

Jason

Arducopter_2_0_56.zip

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pardon the noob- Paul- you can't run Windows7 on a 80386, right?  Its part of the nature of our constant technological advancements that what was super-cool last year is now obsolete and replaced by something that's half the size, or half the power, or twice the processing power.  Those of us with brand new 1.4 boards are already looking at our gear going obsolete because the new boards are available in January.  Sucks on one hand, but really cool on the other. 

Dev team- Still pardon the noob.  Am I correct in understanding that the APM wants data faster than the GPS can provide it? If so, what about taking that 'spike' of velocity and buffering/ averaging the data with the Acc/gyro to fill in the blanks?  Read buffer and average it out over a few clock cycles?  OR- If the IMU can provide enough data most of the time, could the GPS just provide confirmation/update?  Use GPS data just to correct, confirm and tune the IMU error rate? 

• like many, i feel kinda left out for apm 1, even after spending up to $300 for it and now no longer supported, my only option is to upgrade to apm2 (if i can afford to spend another $200) or else what do i do with apm1?!

i havent much flight with it because was waiting for a solid platform but it never really had that 100%. my question, before you discontinue the apm1 1280 support all together, will it ever get a solid platform, or this code the last end for it?

Paul

• VERY IMPORTANT

My FAILSAFE is

and when i close the radio it moves from LOITER  to STABILIZED with 0 RPM!!

Which means crash

THR_FAILSAFE 1
    THR_FS_ACTION 2
    THR_FS_VALUE 975
  • Developer

I just noticed that the sign was wrong on the original calculation of x_actual_speed in Loiter. I wonder if that has been the cause of all of this.

Jason

• Developer

Hello to All,

I have juste done some tests flights of the firmware ArduCopter v2.1 alpha with the MOD_02 from afernan in light wind conditions. So, I can say, Woow, the ALT_HOLD and LOITER are very STABLE... I have also used the Emile and Robero GPS fix. During the LOITER mode, the position is locked as a rock in the air. I shall post a video Asap.

I have just needed to re-tune the LOITER PIDs, you will find below my working PIDs:

3692322226?profile=original

You may download the tested firmware AC21_AF02 with my setup parameters HERE

Good Work afernan, emile and robero, this is a really good improvement !!!

Happy flights to All,

Regards, Jean-Louis

• Developer

How to mount your magnetometer to a safe location with a good solder contact, thanks Steven Harsanyi for this great idea.
    I use a biadesive foam and non conductive removable glue (Pattex Repair Extreme), see photo.

3692322269?profile=original

• Developer

A new video with the loiter of my heavy octo and the mod by afernan:

(ArduCopter V2.1 (mod by afernan) - Loiter test)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7um4D9PlYU0&feature=mfu_in_order...

• When i move to mode RTL or GUIDED its stay there for 1 second and jump tp LOITER.

Its happened both with the receiver and from the MP.

Any clue?

• Test tomorrow with afernan version3692321986?profile=originalMagnetometer soldered with usb cable, and gps put on a alu plate. How to calibrate the compass, I am afraid the calibration is done indoor with test ? Is there possible to do calibration once again?

3692322115?profile=originalXbee 2,4 ghz is modifyed with usb cable and put in the bottom under the camera gimble

3692322169?profile=original

3692322194?profile=originalAll the esc's signal cable have ferrite core, and the ground between esc and apm have ferrite as well

• i also have simlar hexa setup. i thought the 3 degree was only for octa and above? btw, im suffering the horizontal axis leveling issue also. dont want to risk flying this after months of build.  is there any signs of a possible fix of this axis problems? most have similar issue in particular hex or larger looks like.

3690902284?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity