Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi could you post your settings as I have a trex 500 dfc with a naza h on which I would like to try my pixhawk
        cheers Stuart
  • hi fellow dronors, some of those motor glitches could be because of motor and not because of SimonK ESCs. i wasted two months just trying to eliminate the  sync issue. finally found that one of the brand new motors was glitching most probably of magnetization issue. after changing the motor to a new one the glitch was eliminated. i think SimonK based ESCs have no problem with APM2.x or Pixhawk. once again i strongly suggest to balance your propellers using a prop balancer. it will change the performance significantly. thumps up for AC3.2! will celebrate the launch with a style.

• Hello Ravi

I use a few years Simon K.
      I have never had a problem.
      No sync problems on disk motors.
      Please check the connection cable with disc motors.
      this go easily broken by the vibration.

• I've been flying rc9 on a v-shape quad (not v-tail) and while overall I've seen a marked improvement in stabilize, Alt-hold, Loiter, and PosHold have each had some issues. 

In Alt-hold, I've had a lot of trouble maintaining altitude when it should be holding steady. Sometimes in basic forward flight it just slowly descend, even though it shouldn't based on where the throttle is. Similarly, when not moving and throttle at 50%, it will bob up and down a bit.

In PosHold, the breaking has been very very weak. I've played a little with the two parameters I could find and they haven't done much for me. If I'm moving in steady forward flight and then let go of the sticks, it wants to just coast and coast and coast, whereas I would prefer it go into a loiter-like braking fairly quickly, and it rarely seems to want to. When there's a slight wind, it sometimes seems hard to get it to stop and stay like in Loiter. I would personally LOVE more info regarding how to tune the braking to get PosHold to stop more quickly. I know there are the two parameters for brake angle and brake rate, but often when i let the sticks go (throttle @50%), it just coasts and keeps going without any braking at all. I can even see that it's not angling to brake at all as well.

Lastly, in Loiter and PosHold, I've had several situations where, out of seemingly nowhere, while giving no roll input, it will suddenly roll HARD to the right or left. This has come close to causing several crashes. When it happens, it's sudden and dramatic. I input roll hard in the opposite direction, but it can't completely compensate for the hard roll it's trying to initiate. And then after a couple seconds, it disappears. And then maybe reappears again, but maybe not.

I could probably dig up the logs if someone wants to look into the rogue hard-roll incidents. It has me a bit spooked to be honest and I'm tempted to roll back to 3.1. 

Thanks for all the hard work!

Kristian

• Yes as Randy points out [ as he did with me ] a slightly out of calibration TX does not allow the braking to take place. In my case I had bumped my TX roll trim. Zero that and do the calibration again. Worked for me. fyi if it only does the 'no brake' in roll or pitch only that's another clue that's the issue. But it only takes a minute to zero the trims and re-calibrate anyway though. 

• Thanks for that. I'll have to play around with the trims a bit and see what I can come up with. That could be the case. I sort of assumed that it wasn't a trim issue because if I'm in loiter, typically it will stay put, so wouldn't that tell me that I have the trims zeroed? Not sure...

• Developer

Kristian,

Probably best to provide a log file.

The PosHold issue may be because the RC is not calibrated properly so it thinks the pilot is providing input on roll and/or pitch so it keeps drifting.  It's a guess of course.

• It should be a way to use a home ground station gps like this (http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=180) connected by usb to mission planner (insetad u-center) and a code doing the correction of the drone positioning by the telemetry using both gps antennas. 

• Developer

When it comes to high precision GPS, my hopes are with Piksi.  There is some support in ardupilot for it already although I've never used it and can't vouch on it's performance.

• Hi Randy.

I have two of these Piksi thingy in a drawer somewhere.  Should it be connected on Pixhawk as a second GPS?

Does Pixhawk or Mission Planner reconize and send the right stuff to the Piksi?

Thank you in advance.

Henri

This reply was deleted.

Activity