Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Randy for the response.

I did the Ctrl-F and nothing seemed to happen.

I logged into the console of the Pixhawk and figured out the syntax to change CIRCLE_RADIUS parameter directly.  When I go back to mission planner the new value does display.

CIRCLE_RADIUS in Mission Planner still states the units are in Meters and the range is from 1 to 127. 

I'll have to take notes on other parameters I see in Mission Planner that state out of range.  The only other that comes to mind right now was Stab_PIT and Stab_RLL P parameters.  Autotune had set those values to something like 8.1 - range in Mission Planner is from 3 to 6.

Interesting the question pops up stating value is out of range are you sure?  If you click yes - nothing happens the value stays as it was before.

I'll use the terminal to work around - I'll try testing more today with missions.  I'm sure Mission Planner software will catch up soon enough.

• Randy,

Mentioned this a few posts back that I was seeing un-requested throttle out commands causing rapid assent of quad with following specs:

APM 2.5 (now using external mag/GPS)

SunnySky 4110S-25 340KV motors

HK Multistar 45amp ESC running SimonK firmware

Props - 16x5.5 CF

Battery: 6S 5000mAh Zi[ppy Lipo

I have since done a manual tune on the frame but continue to see un-requested throttle out commands.  I have attached a couple of logs for you to review, as well as posted another video demonstrating the behavior.  Is this just a tuning problem?  Video can be viewed here: http://youtu.be/Bd8T1vNVUWk and the "throttle bump" occurs at 2:05 and again at 2:41 and 3:03.  During the first two I did not touch the throttle stick and both times it appeared to descend back to its initial altitude.

Jim

2014-10-17 13-52-36.log

2014-10-17 13-41-32.log

Throttle in vs out.jpg

• Randy,

I believe that I have solved the problem.  Mounted the APM on Zeal Gel and nylon tie (covered in fuel tubing) strapped it down.  Just finished re-testing in post Hurricane Gonzalo winds (41 gusting 53 km/h) and quad held really well in both AltHld and PosHld.  Excellent work developers!!!

2014-10-19 18-12-32.log

• Randy,

Thanks for the feedback :) I just wanted to make sure that it had nothing to do with the motor "pulsing" fix that you implemented a few rc's back, as this is the same frame that was encountering that problem.  I will focus on reducing vibes and seen if that helps.  FYI, I have attached a vibration graph from the same vehicle from earlier testing (I have not made any changes in mounting between then and the recent log attached above, so I would assume that vibs are similar).  Will keep you informed.

Vibrations.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702526914?profile=original
    • Developer

Jim,

I strongly suspect it's high vibration levels.  The IMU logs aren't enabled so we can't see the accelerations directly but the Baro alt and Inertial Nav alt diverge by over 5m a few times and also around 2min there's the classic symptom of high vibration which is Altitude climbing but the climb rate goes negative.  This contradiction comes when inertial navigation is unable to correctly blend the accelerations it's seeing with the absolute barometer readings.

3702526659?profile=original3702526512?profile=original

• @randy is pixhawk suport the px4flow now

• Developer

@uavfans,

Not yet but it's under development.  A few commits went into "master" (which will become AC3.3) a couple of days ago which allow AC to pull data from the sensor.  Paul R from the dev team has already been performing some flight tests.  It'll take a bunch more work but I'm sure it'll be in AC3.3.

• Regarding parachute, I have a problem with servo init. When APM initializes, rc_out on parachute is set to 900, whatever is my setting on Chute_servo_ON/OFF.

I tryed to add a line in radio.pde to do RC_Channel_aux::set_radio(RC_Channel_aux::k_parachute_release, _servo_off_pwm) but it doesn't change anything.

• Thanks. I will make some extensive test with parachute fonctionnality even if it is at bit scary :-)
    • Developer

Manu,

Thanks very much for testing this out.  Not many have played with the Parachute functionality yet.

I've tested and you're right.  The servo is not being initialised to the off value.  I'll fix it and let me think about whether we need to include this fix in AC3.2 or not.  A workaround would be to always use 900 as the off value although obviously that's not idea.

This reply was deleted.

Activity